MIPI DSI, DBI, and tinydrm drivers

Noralf Trønnes noralf at tronnes.org
Mon May 25 00:46:31 UTC 2020

Den 24.05.2020 23.33, skrev Paul Cercueil:

> Le dim. 24 mai 2020 à 23:24, Noralf Trønnes <noralf at tronnes.org> a écrit :
>>

>> Den 24.05.2020 22.42, skrev Paul Cercueil:

>>>  It wouldn't appear in devicetree. If the panel is connected over SPI,
>>>  then DBI is just the protocol it uses.
>>
>> How do you attach a panel to the DBI device if it doesn't appear in DT?
>
> When probed from a DBI host controller, the panel's devicetree binding
> would look like this:
>
> &dbi_host {
>
>    panel {
>        compatible = "my,dbi-device";
>    };
> };
>
> When probed from SPI it would appear in DT like this:
>
> &spi {
>
>    panel at 0 {
>        reg = <0>;
>        compatible = "my,dbi-device-spi";
>    };
> };
>
> In that case, the driver would create a SPI-DBI bridge, but that is an
> implementation detail that doesn't belong in devicetree.

You said that you want to turn the tinydrm drivers into regular
drm_panel drivers. If this is a drm_panel driver, who calls
drm_of_find_panel_or_bridge() to make use of it? Or is this drm_panel
driver a full blown DRM driver?

(btw. tinydrm.ko is gone now, all drivers in tiny/ are regular DRM drivers)

I'm curious, what kind of device is going to use this? It's a bit
strange to spend so many pins on the display interface and choose DBI
instead of DPI.

Noralf.