Dynamically change enumeration list of DRM enumeration property

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu May 28 12:48:04 UTC 2020

On Thu, 28 May 2020 17:38:59 +0530
Yogish Kulkarni <yogishkulkarni at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to find a way through Weston which will allow setting specific
> encoding at display output.

Hi,

why do *you* want to control that?

Why not let the driver always choose the highest possible encoding
given the video mode and hardware capability?

I can understand userspace wanting to know what it got, but why should
userspace be able to control it?

Would people want to pick the encoding first, and then go for the
highest possible video mode?

> Could you please elaborate on  why it is best
> to let DRM driver automatically configure which encoding to choose rather
> than making it selectable by DRM client ? I am not able to find reference
> to past discussion about this. I was only able to find a proposed change -
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2017-April/125451.html but
> am not able to find why it got rejected.
>
> Alternatively, is there existing way through which DRM clients can specify
> preference for output encoding ? Or currently it's all up to the DRM driver
> to choose what output encoding to use.

There must be some reason why userspace needs to be able to control it.
I'm also asking as a Weston maintainer, since I'm interested in how
this affects e.g. color reproduction or HDR support.

One thing that comes to my mind is using atomic TEST_ONLY commits to
probe all the possible video modes × encodings for presenting a list to
the user to choose from, if you have a display configuration GUI. E.g
with some TV use cases, maybe the user wants to avoid sub-sampling, use
the native resolution, but limit refresh rate to what's actually
possible. Or any other combination of the three.

Thanks,
pq