[Linaro-mm-sig] Changing vma->vm_file in dma_buf_mmap()

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Thu Sep 17 16:06:14 UTC 2020

Am 17.09.20 um 17:37 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 5:24 PM Jason Gunthorpe <jgg at ziepe.ca> wrote:

>>> Because the page fault handling is completely driver specific.
>>>
>>> We could install some DMA-buf vmops, but that would just be another layer of
>>> redirection.
> Uh geez I didn't know amdgpu was doing that :-/
>
> Since this is on, I guess the inverse of trying to convert a userptr
> into a dma-buf is properly rejected?

My fault, I wasn't specific enough in my description :)

Amdgpu is NOT doing this with mmaped DMA-bufs, but rather with it's own
mmaped BOs.

In other words when userspace call the userptr IOCTL and we get an error
because we can't make an userptr from some random device memory we
instead check all CPU mappings if the application was brain dead enough
to provide us our own pointer back.

IIRC this is even done in userspace and not the kernel. But we talked
about doing it in the kernel with the private_data as well.

>> If it is already taking a page fault I'm not sure the extra function
>> call indirection is going to be a big deal. Having a uniform VMA
>> sounds saner than every driver custom rolling something.
>>
>> When I unwound a similar mess in RDMA all the custom VMA stuff in the
>> drivers turned out to be generally buggy, at least.
>>
>> Is vma->vm_file->private_data universally a dma_buf pointer at least?
> Nope. I think if you want this without some large scale rewrite of a
> lot of code we'd need a vmops->get_dmabuf or similar. Not pretty, but
> would get the job done.

Yeah, agree that sounds like the simplest approach.

Regards,
Christian.