Call for an EDID parsing library

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 7 09:34:08 UTC 2021

Hi Pekka,

On 07/04/2021 10:44, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> with display servers proliferating thanks to Wayland, and the Linux
> kernel exposing only a very limited set of information based on EDID
> (rightfully so!), the need to interpret EDID blobs is spreading even
> more. I would like to start the discussion about starting a project to
> develop a shared library for parsing EDID blobs. This is not the first
> time either, other people have suggested it years and years ago already,
> but apparently it didn't quite materialise as far as I know.
>
> Right now, it seems that more or less every display server and other
> KMS application is hand-rolling its own EDID parsing code, even for the
> most trivial information (monitor make, model, and serial number). With
> HDR and color management support coming to Wayland, the need to parse
> more things out of EDID will only increase. These things are not
> exposed by the kernel, and most of these things have no use for the
> kernel either.
>
> My personal motivation for this is that I don't want to be developing
> or reviewing yet another partial EDID parser implementation in Weston.
>
> I recall ponderings about sharing the same EDID parsing code between
> the kernel and userspace, but I got the feeling that it would be a
> hindrance in process more than a benefit from sharing code. It would
> need to live in the kernel tree, to be managed with the kernel
> development process, use the kernel "standard libraries", and adhere to
> kernel programming style - all which are good and fine, but maybe also
> more restricting than useful in this case. Therefore I would suggest a
> userspace-only library.
>
> Everyone hand-rolling their own parsing code has the obvious
> disadvantages. In the opposite, I would expect a new shared EDID
> parsing library and project to:
> - be hosted under gitlab.freedesktop.org
> - be MIT licensed
> - offer at least a C ABI
> - employ mandatory Gitlab CI to ensure with sample EDID blobs that it
>   cannot regress
>
> Prior art can be found in various places. I believe Xorg xserver has
> its battle-tested EDID parsing code. Ajax once played with the idea in
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ajax/libminitru/ . Then we have
> https://git.linuxtv.org/edid-decode.git too which has code and test
> data but not a C ABI (right?).

Correct, I moved it to C++. It was never designed to be a library, it
was primarily meant to turn an EDID into a human readable format.

And these days it is also a very powerful tool to verify EDIDs.

It is the most complete EDID parser I know based on the various standards.

> It does not necessarily need to be a new project. Would edid-decode
> project be open to adding a C library ABI?

I would be open to that. The best way would be to create a C library that
turns the EDID blocks into C structures, while edid-decode itself remains
C++ and uses the C library to do the parsing. While edid-decode supports
a large range of Extension Blocks, a C library could probably limit itself
to the base block, CTA-861 blocks and DisplayID blocks.

> edid-decode is already MIT licensed and seems to have a lot of code,
> too, but that's all I know for now.

It is as far as I know the most complete parser.

> Would there be anyone interested to take lead or work on a project like
> this?

I can assist/advice and do code reviews, but I don't have the time myself
to do the actual work.

> Personally I don't think I'd be working on it, but I would be really
> happy to use it in Weston.
>
> Should it be a new project, or grow inside edid-decode or something
> else?

I think it would make sense if it is grown as a library used by edid-decode.
The edid-decode utility is under active maintenance and follows the latest
EDID standards, so that will probably help the quality of the library. My
main requirement would be that the edid-decode functionality is not
affected, especially the conformity checks are still performed. And that
support for new/updated EDID standards can easily be implemented, but that's
exactly what you would want in an edid library.

> I believe MIT license is important to have wide adoption of it. C ABI
> similarly. Also that it would be a "small" library without heavy
> dependencies.

It shouldn't need any dependencies. edid-decode doesn't need any either
except for -lm, which is probably not needed for the library part.

> What do you think? Could anyone spare their time for this?

Didn't you just volunteer? :-) :-)

Regards,

	Hans