[RFC] Cross-driver ww transaction lock lists

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Tue Apr 13 07:57:06 UTC 2021

Am 13.04.21 um 09:50 schrieb Thomas Hellström:
> Hi!
>
> During the dma_resv conversion of the i915 driver, we've been using ww
> transaction lock lists to keep track of ww_mutexes that are locked
> during the transaction so that they can be batch unlocked at suitable
> locations. Including also the LMEM/VRAM eviction we've ended up with
> two static lists per transaction context; one typically unlocked at the
> end of transaction and one initialized before and unlocked after each
> buffer object validate. This enables us to do sleeping locking at
> eviction and keep objects locked on the eviction list until we
> eventually succeed allocating memory (modulo minor flaws of course).
>
> It would be beneficial with the i915 TTM conversion to be able to
> introduce a similar functionality that would work in ttm but also
> cross-driver in, for example move_notify. It would also be beneficial
> to be able to put any dma_resv ww mutex on the lists, and not require
> it to be embedded in a particular object type.
>
> I started scetching on some utilities for this. For TTM, for example,
> the idea would be to pass a list head for the ww transaction lock list
> in the ttm_operation_ctx. A function taking a ww_mutex could then
> either attach a grabbed lock to the list for batch unlocking, or be
> responsible for unlocking when the lock's scope is exited. It's also
> possible to create sublists if so desired. I believe the below would be
> sufficient to cover the i915 functionality.
>
> Any comments and suggestions appreciated!

ah yes Daniel and I haven been discussing something like this for years.

I also came up with rough implementation, but we always ran into
lifetime issues.

In other words the ww_mutexes which are on the list would need to be
kept alive until unlocked.

Because of this we kind of backed up and said we would need this on the
GEM level instead of working with dma_resv objects.

Regards,
Christian.