[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Linux Graphics Next: Explicit fences everywhere and no BO fences - initial proposal

Christian König ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 12:19:19 UTC 2021

Hi Daniel,

Am 20.04.21 um 14:01 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 06:47:48AM -0400, Marek Olšák wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is our initial proposal for explicit fences everywhere and new memory
>> management that doesn't use BO fences. It's a redesign of how Linux
>> graphics drivers work, and it can coexist with what we have now.
>>

>> *1. Introduction*
>> (skip this if you are already sold on explicit fences)
>>
>> The current Linux graphics architecture was initially designed for GPUs
>> with only one graphics queue where everything was executed in the
>> submission order and per-BO fences were used for memory management and
>> CPU-GPU synchronization, not GPU-GPU synchronization. Later, multiple
>> queues were added on top, which required the introduction of implicit
>> GPU-GPU synchronization between queues of different processes using per-BO
>> fences. Recently, even parallel execution within one queue was enabled
>> where a command buffer starts draws and compute shaders, but doesn't wait
>> for them, enabling parallelism between back-to-back command buffers.
>> Modesetting also uses per-BO fences for scheduling flips. Our GPU scheduler
>> was created to enable all those use cases, and it's the only reason why the
>> scheduler exists.
>>
>> The GPU scheduler, implicit synchronization, BO-fence-based memory
>> management, and the tracking of per-BO fences increase CPU overhead and
>> latency, and reduce parallelism. There is a desire to replace all of them
>> with something much simpler. Below is how we could do it.
> I get the feeling you're mixing up a lot of things here that have more
> nuance, so first some lingo.
>
> - There's kernel based synchronization, based on dma_fence. These come in
>    two major variants: Implicit synchronization, where the kernel attaches
>    the dma_fences to a dma-buf, and explicit synchronization, where the
>    dma_fence gets passed around as a stand-alone object, either a sync_file
>    or a drm_syncobj
>
> - Then there's userspace fence synchronization, where userspace issues any
>    fences directly and the kernel doesn't even know what's going on. This
>    is the only model that allows you to ditch the kernel overhead, and it's
>    also the model that vk uses.
>
>    I concur with Jason that this one is the future, it's the model hw
>    wants, compute wants and vk wants. Building an explicit fence world
>    which doesn't aim at this is imo wasted effort.
>
> Now you smash them into one thing by also changing the memory model, but I
> think that doesn't work:
>
> - Relying on gpu page faults across the board wont happen. I think right
>    now only amd's GFX10 or so has enough pagefault support to allow this,

It's even worse. GFX9 has enough support so that in theory can work.

Because of this Felix and his team are working on HMM support based on
this generation.

On GFX10 some aspects of it are improved while others are totally broken
again.

> [...]
>    kernel will simply maintain a list of all current users of a buffer. For
>    memory management, which means eviction handling roughly works like you
>    describe below, we wait for everything before a buffer can be moved.
>
> This should get rid of the oversync issues, and since implicit sync is
> backed in everywhere right now, you'll have to deal with implicit sync for
> a very long time.
>
> Next up is reducing the memory manager overhead of all this, without
> changing the ecosystem.
>
> - hw option would be page faults, but until we have full explicit
>    userspace sync we can't use those. Which currently means compute only.
>    Note that for vulkan or maybe also gl this is quite nasty for userspace,
>    since as soon as you need to switch to dma_fenc sync or implicit sync
>    (winsys buffer, or buffer sharing with any of the current set of
>    extensions) you have to flip your internal driver state around all sync
>    points over from userspace fencing to dma_fence kernel fencing. Can
>    still be all explicit using drm_syncobj ofc.
>
> - next up if your hw has preemption, you could use that, except preemption
>    takes a while longer, so from memory pov really should be done with
>    dma_fence. Plus it has all the same problems in that it requires
>    userspace fences.
>
> - now for making dma_fence O(1) in the fastpath you need the shared
>    dma_resv trick and the lru bulk move. radv/amdvlk use that, but I think
>    radeonsi not yet. But maybe I missed that. Either way we need to do some
>    better kernel work so it can also be fast for shared buffers, if those
>    become a problem. On the GL side doing this will use a lot of the tricks
>    for residency/working set management you describe below, except the
>    kernel can still throw out an entire gpu job. This is essentially what
>    you describe with 3.1. Vulkan/compute already work like this.
>
> Now this gets the performance up, but it doesn't give us any road towards
> using page faults (outside of compute) and so retiring dma_fence for good.
> For that we need a few pieces:
>
> - Full new set of userspace winsys protocols and egl/vk extensions. Pray
>    it actually gets adopted, because neither AMD nor Intel have the
>    engineers to push these kind of ecosystems/middleware issues forward on
>    their payrolls. Good pick is probably using drm_syncobj as the kernel
>    primitive for this. Still uses dma_fence underneath.
>
> - Some clever kernel tricks so that we can substitute dma_fence for
>    userspace fences within a drm_syncobj. drm_syncobj already has the
>    notion of waiting for a dma_fence to materialize. We can abuse that to
>    create an upgrade path from dma_fence based sync to userspace fence
>    syncing. Ofc none of this will be on the table if userspace hasn't
>    adopted explicit sync.
>
> With these two things I think we can have a reasonable upgrade path. None
> of this will be break the world type things though.

How about this:
1. We extend drm_syncobj to be able to contain both classic dma_fence as
well as being used for user fence synchronization.

     We already discussed that briefly and I think we should have a
rough plan for this in our heads.

2. We allow attaching an drm_syncobj on dma_resv for implicit sync.

     This requires that both the consumer as well as the producer side
will support user fence synchronization.

     We would still have quite a bunch of limitations, especially we
would need to adjust all the kernel consumers of classic dma_resv
objects. But I think it should be doable.

Regards,
Christian.