[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Linux Graphics Next: Explicit fences everywhere and no BO fences - initial proposal

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Tue Apr 27 17:31:09 UTC 2021

Hi,

Am Dienstag, dem 27.04.2021 um 09:26 -0400 schrieb Marek Olšák:
> Ok. So that would only make the following use cases broken for now:
> - amd render -> external gpu
> - amd video encode -> network device

FWIW, "only" breaking amd render -> external gpu will make us pretty
unhappy, as we have some cases where we are combining an AMD APU with a
FPGA based graphics card. I can't go into the specifics of this use-
case too much but basically the AMD graphics is rendering content that
gets composited on top of a live video pipeline running through the
FPGA.

> What about the case when we get a buffer from an external device and
> we're supposed to make it "busy" when we are using it, and the
> external device wants to wait until we stop using it? Is it something
> that can happen, thus turning "external -> amd" into "external <->
> amd"?

Zero-copy texture sampling from a video input certainly appreciates
this very much. Trying to pass the render fence through the various
layers of userspace to be able to tell when the video input can reuse a
buffer is a great experience in yak shaving. Allowing the video input
to reuse the buffer as soon as the read dma_fence from the GPU is
signaled is much more straight forward.

Regards,
Lucas