[RFC v1 0/4] drm: Add support for DRM_CAP_DEFERRED_OUT_FENCE capability

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Aug 9 14:15:41 UTC 2021

On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 07:27:13AM +0000, Kasireddy, Vivek wrote:
> [...]
> > compositor free-wheel instead of rendering in sync. It's just that
> > depending upon how exactly the flip completion event on the gues side
> > plays out you either get guest rendering that's faster than the host-side
> > 60fps, or guest rendering that's much slower than the host-side 60fps.
> [Kasireddy, Vivek] That used to be the case before we added a synchronization
> mechanism to the GTK UI backend that uses a sync file. After adding this
> and making the Guest wait until this sync file fd on the Host is signaled, we
> consistently get 60 FPS because the flip completion event for the Guest is
> directly tied to the signaling of the sync file in this particular case (GTK UI).
>

> > The fundamental problem in both cases is that they don't run in lockstep.
> > If you fix that, through fixing the timestamp and even reporting most
> > likely, you should be able to fix both bugs.
> [Kasireddy, Vivek] GTK UI is an EGL based solution that Blits the Guest scanout
> FB onto one of the backbuffers managed by EGL. Wayland UI is a zero-copy
> solution that just wraps the dmabuf associated with Guest scanout FB in a
> wl_buffer and submits it directly to the Host compositor. These backends are
> completely independent of each other and cannot be active at the same time.
> In other words, we cannot have zero-copy and Blit based solutions running
> parallelly. And, this issue is only relevant for Wayland UI backend and has
> nothing to do with GTK UI.

> > > [Kasireddy, Vivek] Timings are not a problem and do not significantly
> > > affect the repaint cycles from what I have seen so far.

> > > [Kasireddy, Vivek] As I confirm here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-
> > /issues/514#note_984065
> > > tweaking the deadlines works (i.e., we get 60 FPS) as we expect. However,
> > > I feel that this zero-copy solution I am trying to create should be independent
> > > of compositors' deadlines, delays or other scheduling parameters.
> >
> > That's not how compositors work nowadays. Your problem is that you don't
> > have the guest/host compositor in sync. zero-copy only changes the timing,
> > so it changes things from "rendering way too many frames" to "rendering
> > way too few frames".
> >
> > We need to fix the timing/sync issue here first, not paper over it with
> > hacks.
> [Kasireddy, Vivek] What I really meant is that the zero-copy solution should be
> independent of the scheduling policies to ensure that it works with all compositors.
>  IIUC, Weston for example uses the vblank/pageflip completion timestamp, the
> configurable repaint-window value, refresh-rate, etc to determine when to start
> its next repaint -- if there is any damage:
> timespec_add_nsec(&output->next_repaint, stamp, refresh_nsec);
> timespec_add_msec(&output->next_repaint, &output->next_repaint, -compositor->repaint_msec);
>
> And, in the case of VKMS, since there is no real hardware, the timestamp is always:

vkms has been fixed since a while to fake high-precision timestamps like
from a real display.

> When you say that the Guest/Host compositor need to stay in sync, are you
> suggesting that we need to ensure that the vblank timestamp on the Host
> needs to be shared and be the same on the Guest and a vblank/pageflip
> completion for the Guest needs to be sent at exactly the same time it is sent
> on the Host? If yes, I'd say that we do send the pageflip completion to Guest
> around the same time a vblank is generated on the Host but it does not help
> because the Guest compositor would only have 9 ms to submit a new frame
> and if the Host is running Mutter, the Guest would only have 2 ms.
> (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/issues/514#note_984341)

Not at the same time, but the same timestamp. And yes there is some fun
there, which is I think the fundamental issue. Or at least some of the
compositor experts seem to think so, and it makes sense to me.

> [...]
> > to hit 60fps with zero-copy and the guest/host fully aligned should we
> > look into making the overall pipeline deeper.
> [Kasireddy, Vivek] From all the experiments conducted so far and given the
> discussion associated with https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/issues/514
> I think we have already established that in order for a zero-copy solution to work
> reliably, the Guest compositor needs to start its repaint cycle when the Host
> compositor sends a frame callback event to its clients.

> > > [Kasireddy, Vivek] Experiments done so far indicate that we can hit 59 FPS consistently
> > > -- in a zero-copy way independent of compositors' delays/deadlines -- with this
> > > patch series + the Weston MR I linked in the cover letter. The main reason why this
> > > works is because we relax the assumption that when the Guest compositor gets a
> > > pageflip completion event that it could reuse the old FB it submitted in the previous
> > > atomic flip and instead force it to use a new one. And, we send the pageflip completion
> > > event to the Guest when the Host compositor sends a frame callback event. Lastly,
> > > we use the (deferred) out_fence as just a mechanism to tell the Guest compositor when
> > > it can release references on old FBs so that they can be reused again.
> > >
> > > With that being said, the only question is how can we accomplish the above in an
> > upstream
> > > acceptable way without regressing anything particularly on bare-metal. Its not clear if
> > just
> > > increasing the queue depth would work or not but I think the Guest compositor has to be
> > told
> > > when it can start its repaint cycle and when it can assume the old FB is no longer in use.
> > > On bare-metal -- and also with VKMS as of today -- a pageflip completion indicates
> > both.
> > > In other words, Vblank event is the same as Flip done, which makes sense on bare-metal.
> > > But if we were to have two events at-least for VKMS: vblank to indicate to Guest to start
> > > repaint and flip_done to indicate to drop references on old FBs, I think this problem can
> > > be solved even without increasing the queue depth. Can this be acceptable?
> >
> > That's just another flavour of your "increase queue depth without
> > increasing the atomic queue depth" approach. I still think the underlying
> > fundamental issue is a timing confusion, and the fact that adjusting the
> > timings fixes things too kinda proves that. So we need to fix that in a
> > clean way, not by shuffling things around semi-randomly until the specific
> > config we tests works.
> [Kasireddy, Vivek] This issue is not due to a timing or timestamp mismatch. We
> have carefully instrumented both the Host and Guest compositors and measured
> the latencies at each step. The relevant debug data only points to the scheduling
> policy -- of both Host and Guest compositors -- playing a role in Guest rendering

Hm but that essentially means that the events your passing around have an
even more ad-hoc implementation specific meaning: Essentially it's the
kick-off for the guest's repaint loop? That sounds even worse for a kms
uapi extension.

> > Iow I think we need a solution here which both slows down the 90fps to
> > 60fps for the blit case, and the 30fps speed up to 60fps for the zerocopy
> > case. Because the host might need to switch transparently between blt and
> > zerocopy for various reasons.
> [Kasireddy, Vivek] As I mentioned above, the Host (Qemu) cannot switch UI
> backends at runtime. In other words, with GTK UI backend, it is always Blit
> whereas Wayland UI backend is always zero-copy.

Hm ok, that at least makes things somewhat simpler. Another thing that I
just realized: What happens when the host changes screen resolution and
especially refresh rate?
-Daniel