drm: simpledrm: fbdev emulation error with CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM enabled

Thomas Zimmermann tzimmermann at suse.de
Wed Aug 25 18:02:46 UTC 2021

Hi

Am 25.08.21 um 18:01 schrieb Amanoel Dawod:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2021, at 8:56 AM, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
>> In the attached log, the amdgpu driver is too noisy. Would it be
>> possible to disable the amdgpu and radeon drivers for this test? So only
>> simpledrm should be active. Likely this doesn't produce any graphical
>> output and you may have to be able to login remotely to get the log.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Thomas
>>

> Please find attached dmesg log without amdgpu/radeon drivers.

Oh, now simpledrm itself fills up the log with pointless messages. :/
Looking at the file, there's plenty of Gnome buffer swapping. I suspect
that Gnome works? It's just the console that's not available?

Could you please boot directly into a text terminal? That should be
possible by adding systemd.unit=multi-user.target to the kernel command
line if your distro uses systemd. Due to the issue, you probably won't
see anything on the screen, so you may need remote access.

Thanks for your help with debugging and sorry for sending you through so
many hops.

Best regards
Thomas

--