RPI 7" display touch controller

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Fri Dec 10 22:39:53 UTC 2021

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 11:29 AM Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 10:41 AM Dave Stevenson
> <dave.stevenson at raspberrypi.com> wrote:

> > > Dave,
> > >
> > > After some more investigation I've found that while the DFRobot
> > > DRF0550 and DFR0678 touch controller does not work with the ft5x06
> > > driver it does indeed work on a Rpi with the raspberrypi-ts driver. So
> > > from an Rpi perspective the latest OS image doesn't work but the
> > > 'Legacy' OS image does (which appears to have the same 5.10 kernel but
> > > uses legacy drivers?).
> >
> > You have to love cloned devices.
> > Have you checked with DFRobot as to what the actual touchscreen
> > controller chip is?
>
> Dave,
>
> I tore one apart and verified it has a  FT5316 I2C touchscreen
> controller (without IRQ) but again it routes directly to a STM32F103
> (see https://dfimg.dfrobot.com/nobody/wiki/208d6cf05cacd2ee3b349341d5bfd6e2.pdf).
> So the key difference is that while the official rpi 7in display has
> both the ft5x06 and whatever the mcu emulates on the soc's i2c the
> DRROBOT only has the emulated device. Note that I 'can' probe 0x45
> 'and' 0x38 but the slave at 0x38 does not behave like an ft5x06
>

> > > So if I understand correctly the Rpi has some firmware that talks over
> > > I2C and translates touch events from this 'legacy API' over to a
> > > memory mapped area. How can I learn about this firmware and what kind
> > > of translation it does to make these touch controllers work on a non
> > > rpi?
> >
> > It does very little different from edt-ft5x06.
> >
> > At an I2C level it reads register 0x02 of the touchscreen controller
> > to get the current number of points, and then does that number of 4
> > byte reads for register (3+6*i) to get the touch information.
> > The edt-ft5x06 driver just reads all registers from 0 to generally
> > 0x21 to get all points in one hit. It then parses all the point
> > information instead of looking at the reported number of points.
>
> That seems reasonable with respect to the ft5x06 but then the firmware
> must present this data somehow as I2C registers (on 0x38 or 0x45?) or
> I don't see how the DSROBOT touch controllers currently work with
> raspberrypi-ts as they only have i2c slaves at those addresses.
>
> Is this firmware source available?
>

> > There are a couple more commits to our kernel tree for edt-ft5x06 as
> > we were seeing some issues.
> > The main one is that it seems unreliable in reporting TOUCH_UP events.
> > Whilst it's implemented explicitly in the driver with the current
> > patches, I believe it could be done via the INPUT_MT_DROP_UNUSED flag
> > if input_mt_sync_frame is used as well. When time allows I was
> > intending to upstream that fix.
> >

> Ok, I see those in your tree.
>
> DFROBOT has not been extremely helpful but to be honest I don't think
> they understand the issue (I didn't until this morning) that their
> touch controllers work on the old Raspberrypi OS releases using
> [...]

Dave,

Looking at the i2c regs from the DFROBOT panels from slave address
0x38 I've been able to decode the following:
0x00[7:4] event_type? (always 0x8)
0x00[3:0] MSBX
0x01[7:0] LSBX
0x02[7:4] touchid? (typically 0x0 but when I pinch sometimes it goes to a 0x1)
0x02[3:0] MSBY
0x03[7:0] LSBY

I can't quite figure out how to determine up/down events yet.
Comparing this to FT5x06 registers and raspberrypi-ts.c I would guess
that 0x00[7:4] is event_type and 0x02[7:4] is touchid but I never see
event_type change from 0x8 and touchid is 0x0 unless I pinch/unpinch
(but that seems very unreliable).

Tim