[RFC 0/6] Define and use reset domain for GPU recovery in amdgpu

Andrey Grodzovsky andrey.grodzovsky at amd.com
Mon Dec 20 19:11:49 UTC 2021

On 2021-12-20 12:06 p.m., Liu, Shaoyun wrote:

> [AMD Official Use Only]
>

> Hi , Andrey
> I actually has some concerns about this  change .
> 1.  on SRIOV configuration , the reset notify coming  from host , and driver already trigger a work queue to handle the reset (check xgpu_*_mailbox_flr_work) , is it a good idea to trigger another work queue inside the work queue ?  Can  we just use the  new one  you added ?

Shouldn't be a problem,  i will change. In fact it's a great idea
because then it looks like we can totally drop 'adev->in_gpu_reset'
since we don't need to lock again concurrent resets anymore

> 2. For KFD,  the rocm use the user queue for the submission and it won't call the drm scheduler  and hence no job timeout.  Can  we handle that with  your new change ?

I think that not a problem - a lot of places use direct submissions and
not scheduler, in case they need to synchronize against concurrent GPU
resets they lock adev->reset_sem. Nothing changes in this sense.

> 3 . For XGMI  hive, there is only hive  reset for all devices on bare-metal  config ,  but for SRIOV config , the VF will support VF FLR, which means host might only need to reset specific device instead trigger whole hive reset . So we might still need  reset_domain for individual device within the hive for SRIOV configuration.

This is something future right ? I don't see it in the code - in this
case we will have to account for this as part of the generic design for
this kind of single device reset within XGMI hive. It should require
only a minor addition to current design in creating 2 parallel reset
domains - one for hive and one per device.

> Anyway I think this change need to be verified on sriov configuration on XGMI with  some rocm use app is running .

I do have XGMI setup where I still test XGMI resets. It has ROCm stack
there - can you please login there and tell me if I have what needed
there to do the tests you advise ? I am not very familiar with ROCm
tools as i usually test using libdrm. (Ping me on teams for the device
ip and user name)

Andrey