[RFC v3 2/3] virtio: Introduce Vdmabuf driver

Kasireddy, Vivek vivek.kasireddy at intel.com
Wed Feb 10 04:47:36 UTC 2021

Hi Gerd,

[Kasireddy, Vivek] What if I do mmap() on the fd followed by mlock() or mmap()
followed by get_user_pages()? If it still fails, would ioremapping the device memory
and poking at the backing storage be an option? Or, if I bind the passthrough'd GPU device
to vfio-pci and tap into the memory region associated with the device memory, can it be
made to work?

And, I noticed that for PFNs that do not have valid struct page associated with it, KVM
does a memremap() to access/map them. Is this an option?

> > [Kasireddy, Vivek] To exclude such cases, would it not be OK to limit the scope
> > of this solution (Vdmabuf) to make it clear that the dma-buf has to live in Guest RAM?
> > Or, are there any ways to pin the dma-buf pages in Guest RAM to make this
> > solution work?
>
> At that point it becomes (i915) driver-specific.  If you go that route
> it doesn't look that useful to use dma-bufs in the first place ...
[Kasireddy, Vivek] I prefer not to make this driver specific if possible.

> > IIUC, Virtio GPU is used to present a virtual GPU to the Guest and all the rendering
> > commands are captured and forwarded to the Host GPU via Virtio.
>
> You don't have to use the rendering pipeline.  You can let the i915 gpu
> render into a dma-buf shared with virtio-gpu, then use virtio-gpu only for
> buffer sharing with the host.
[Kasireddy, Vivek] Is this the most viable path forward? I am not sure how complex or
feasible it would be but I'll look into it.
Also, not using the rendering capabilities of virtio-gpu and turning it into a sharing only
device means there would be a giant mode switch with a lot of if() conditions sprinkled
across. Are you OK with that?

Thanks,
Vivek