Not 100% sure if I correctly fixed drm-tip

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Feb 11 17:22:42 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 4:27 PM Christian König
<christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:

> Am 11.02.21 um 16:02 schrieb Jani Nikula:
> > On Thu, 11 Feb 2021, Christian König <christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I had a conflict this morning in the ttm pool while pushing an important
> >> fix to drm-misc-fixes.
> >>
> >> I'm not 100% sure if I correctly fixed up drm-tip. How can this be
> >> double checked? And how can it be fixed if the merge has gone bad?
> > I'm afraid there's a problem; bb52cb0dec8d ("drm/ttm: make the pool
> > shrinker lock a mutex") in upstream and drm-misc-fixes creates a silent
> > conflict with ba051901d10f ("drm/ttm: add a debugfs file for the global
> > page pools") in drm-misc-next, causing the latter to use
> > spin_lock/unlock on a mutex.
> >
> > But while you hit a conflict, it does look like the conflict breaking
> > the build is silent, AFAICT the spinlock part does not conflict. So a
> > fixup patch in drm-rerere is probably needed until there are some
> > backmerges.
>
> Well exactly that's the issue. I've already had a fixup in drm-rerere
> for this.
>
> But today I've pushed another fix to drm-misc-fixes which also conflicts
> with ba051901d10f ("drm/ttm: add a debugfs file for the global page pools").
>
> I've fixed this up as well and committed the solution. But dim then
> complained that the original fixup is now not applicable any more (which
> is true as far as I know).
>
> This somehow went away when I said that dim should assume patch
> reversal, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do.

Nothing, it's all still broken. You need to delete the now unecessary
fixup. As a rule, when rebuilding drm-tip failed always try again to
confirm that what you've done actually fixed things (since sometimes
git can also not remember where to apply the resolution for some odd
reasons).

I'm fixing this now.
-Daniel

--