Couple of issues with amdgpu on my WX4100

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 21:45:27 UTC 2021

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 21:13:53 +0100
Christian König <christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:

> Am 04.01.21 um 19:43 schrieb Alex Williamson:
> > On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 18:39:33 +0100
> > Christian König <christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:

> >> That's a rather bad idea. See our GPUs for example return way more than
> >> they actually need.
> >>
> >> E.g. a Polaris usually returns 4GiB even when only 2GiB are installed,
> >> because 4GiB is just the maximum amount of RAM you can put together with
> >> the ASIC on a board.
> > Would the driver fail or misbehave if the BAR is sized larger than the
> > amount of memory on the card or is memory size determined independently
> > of BAR size?
>
> Uff, good question. I have no idea.
>
> At least the Linux driver should behave well, but no idea about the
> Windows driver stack.
>
> >> Some devices even return a mask of all 1 even when they need only 2MiB,
> >> resulting in nearly 1TiB of wasted address space with this approach.
> > Ugh.  I'm afraid to ask why a device with a 2MiB BAR would implement a
> > REBAR capability, but I guess we really can't make any assumptions
> > about the breadth of SKUs that ASIC might support (or sanity of the
> > designers).
>
> It's a standard feature for FPGAs these days since how much BAR you need
> depends on what you load on it, and that in turn usually only happens
> after the OS is already started and you fire up your development
> environment.
>
> > We could probe to determine the maximum size the host can support and
> > potentially emulate the capability to remove sizes that we can't
> > allocate, but without any ability for the device to reject a size
> > advertised as supported via the capability protocol it makes me nervous
> > how we can guarantee the resources are available when the user
> > re-configures the device.  That might mean we'd need to reserve the
> > resources, up to what the host can support, regardless of what the
> > device can actually use.  I'm not sure how else to know how much to
> > reserve without device specific code in vfio-pci.  Thanks,
>
> Well in the FPGA case I outlined above you don't really know how much
> BAR you need until the setup is completed.
>
> E.g. you could need one BAR with just 2MiB and another with 128GB, or
> two with 64GB or.... That's the reason why somebody came up with the
> REBAR standard in the first place.

Yes, I suppose without a full bus-reset and soft-hotplug event,
resizable BARs are the best way to reconfigure a device based on FPGA
programming.  Anyway, thanks for the insights here.

> I think I can summarize that static resizing might work for some devices
> like our GPUs, but it doesn't solve the problem in general.

Yup, I don't have a good approach for the general case for a VM yet.  We
could add a sysfs or side channel mechanism to preconfigure a BAR size,
but once we're dealing with a VM interacting with the REBAR capability
itself, it's far too easy for the guest to create a configuration that
the host might not have bus resources to support, especially if there
are multiple resizable BARs under a bridge.  Thanks,

Alex