fbcon: remove soft scrollback code (missing Doc. patch)

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Fri Jan 15 08:06:33 UTC 2021

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 5:11 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 4:56 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 5:00 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> > IIRC, all of this was written for systems lacking VGA text consoles
> > in the first place...
> >
> > > Also on anything that is remotely modern (i.e. runs a drm kernel
> > > modesetting driver undearneath the fbdev/fbcon stack) there's a pile
> > > more issues on top of just the scrollback/fbcon code being a mess.
> >
> > Would it help to remove DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION (instead)?
>
> It's a problem with the hardware. "Write some registers and done"
> isn't how display blocks work nowadays. So your proposal amounts to
> "no fbdev/fbcon for anything modern-ish".

With "modern-ish" actually meaning: "desktop/gaming/mobile-style
3D-accelerated wide-color display hardware".  There's plenty of display
hardware that doesn't fall into that class, and is served by fbdev (also
out-of-tree due to the moratorium) because of that.

> Also I said "a pile more", most of the issues in fbcon/fbdev code
> apply for all drivers.
>
> > > Specifically the locking is somewhere between yolo and outright
> > > deadlocks. This holds even more so if the use case here is "I want
> > > scrollback for an oops". There's rough sketches for how it could be
> > > solved, but it's all very tricky work.
> >
> > When an oops happens, all bets are off.  At that point, all information
> > you can extract from the system is valuable, and additional locking
> > issues are moot.
>
> Except the first oops then scrolls aways because it's getting buried
> under further fail. Your locking needs to be minimally good enough to
> not make the situation worse.

When an oops happens, all bets are off...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds