[RFC v1 0/4] drm: Add support for DRM_CAP_DEFERRED_OUT_FENCE capability

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Jul 30 12:50:10 UTC 2021

Per https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/issues/514#note_986797 , IMO the underlying issue is actually that the guest compositor repaint cycle is not aligned with the host compositor one. If they were aligned, the problem would not occur even without allowing multiple page flips in flight, and latency would be lower.

> Now I think where we go wrong here is that we're trying to hack this up by
> defining different semantics for the out-fence and for the drm-event. Imo
> that's wrong, they're both meant to show eactly the same thing:
> - when is the new frame actually visible to the user (as in, eyeballs in a
>   human head, preferrably, not the time when we've handed the buffer off
>   to the virtual hw)
> - when is the previous buffer no longer being used by the scanout hw
>
> We do cheat a bit right now in so far that we assume they're both the
> same, as in, panel-side latency is currently the compositor's problem to
> figure out.
>
> So for virtual hw I think the timestamp and even completion really need to
> happen only when the buffer has been pushed through the entire
> virtualization chain, i.e. ideally we get the timestamp from the kms
> driver from the host side. Currently that's not done, so this is most
> likely quite broken already (virtio relies on the no-vblank auto event
> sending, which definitely doesn't wait for anything, or I'm completely
> missing something).
>
> I think instead of hacking up some ill-defined 1.5 queue depth support,
> what we should do is support queue depth > 1 properly. So:
>
> - Change atomic to support queue depth > 1, this needs to be a per-driver
>   thing due to a bunch of issues in driver code. Essentially drivers must
>   never look at obj->state pointers, and only ever look up state through
>   the passed-in drm_atomic_state * update container.
>
> - Aside: virtio should loose all it's empty hooks, there's no point in
>   that.
>
> - We fix virtio to send out the completion event at the end of this entire
>   pipeline, i.e. virtio code needs to take care of sending out the
>   crtc_state->event correctly.
>
> - We probably also want some kind of (maybe per-crtc) recommended queue
>   depth property so compositors know how many buffers to keep in flight.
>   Not sure about that.

I'd say there would definitely need to be some kind of signal for the display server that it should queue multiple flips, since this is normally not desirable for latency. In other words, this wouldn't really be useful on bare metal (in contrast to the ability to replace a pending flip with a newer one).

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               https://redhat.com