[Mesa-dev] Linux Graphics Next: Userspace submission update

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Jun 3 11:22:15 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 12:55 PM Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu., Jun. 3, 2021, 06:03 Daniel Vetter, <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

>> > The reason is to disallow lower-privileged process to deadlock/hang a
>> > higher-privileged process where the kernel can't tell who did it. If the
>> > implicit-sync sequence counter is read only to userspace and only
>> > incrementable by the unlock-signal command after the lock-wait command
>> > appeared in the same queue (both together forming a critical section),
>> > userspace can't manipulate it arbitrarily and we get almost the exact same
>> > behavior as implicit sync has today. That means any implicitly-sync'd
>> > buffer from any process can be fully trusted by a compositor to signal in a
>> > finite time, and possibly even trusted by the kernel. The only thing that's
>> > different is that a malicious process can disable implicit sync for a
>> > buffer in all processes/kernel, but it can't hang other processes/kernel
>> > (it can only hang itself and the kernel will be notified). So I'm a happy
>> > panda now. :)
>>
>> Yeah I think that's not going to work too well, and is too many piled up
>> hacks. Within a drm_file fd you can do whatever you feel like, since it's
>> just one client.
>>
>> But once implicit sync kicks in I think you need to go with dma_fence and
>> drm/scheduler to handle the dependencies, and tdr kicking it. With the
>> dma_fence you do know who's the offender - you might not know why, but
>> that doesn't matter, you just shred the entire context and let that
>> userspace figure out the details.
>>
>> I think trying to make memory fences work as implicit sync directly,
>> without wrapping them in a dma_fence and assorted guarantees, will just
>> not work.
>>
>> And once you do wrap them in dma_fence, then all the other problems go
>> away: cross-driver sync, syncfiles, ... So I really don't see the benefit
>> of this half-way approach.
>>
>> Yes there's going to be a tad bit of overhead, but that's already there in
>> the current model. And it can't hurt to have a bit of motivation for
>> compositors to switch over to userspace memory fences properly.
>

> Well, Christian thinks that we need a high level synchronization primitive in hw. I don't know myself and you may be right. A software scheduler with user queues might be one option. My part is only to find out how much of the scheduler logic can be moved to the hardware.

> [...]

I don't think hw access rights control on memory fences makes sense.
There's two cases:

- brave new world of native userspace memory fences. Currently that's
compute, maybe direct display vk, hopefully/eventually compositors and
desktops too. If you get an untrusted fence, you need to have fallback
logic no matter what, and by design. vk is explicit in stating that if
things hang, you get to keep all the pieces. So the compositor needs
to _always_ treat userspace memory fences as hostile, wrap them in a
timeout, and have a fallback frame/scene in its rendering path.
Probably same for the kernel on display side, maybe down to the
display hw picking the "right" frame depending upon the fence value
right before scanout as we discussed earlier. There's no point in hw
access rights because by design, even if no one tampers with your
fence, it might never signal. So you have to cope with a hostile fence
from untrusted sources anyway (and within an app it's trusted and you
just die as in stuck in an endless loop until someon sends a SIGKILL
when you deadlock or get it wrong some other way).

- old compat mode where we need to use dma_fence, otherwise we end up
with another round of "amdgpu redefines implicit sync in incompatible
ways", and Christian&me don't even know yet how to fix the current
round without breaking use-cases badly yet. So it has to be dma_fence,
and it has to be the same rules as on old hw, or it's just not going
to work. This means you need to force in-order retiring of fences in
the kernel, and you need to enforce timeout. None of this needs hw
access rights control, since once more it's just software constructs
in the kernel. As a first appromixation, drm/scheduler + the fence
chain we already have in syncobj is probably good enough for this.
E.g. if userspace rolls the fence backwards then the kernel just
ignores that, because its internal dma_fence has signalled, and
dma_fences never unsignal (it's a bit in struct dma_fence, once it's
set we stop checking hw). And if it doesn't signal in time, then tdr
jumps in and fixes the mess. Hw access control doesn't fix anything
here, because you have to deal with timeout and ordering already
anyway, or the dma_fence contract is broken.

So in both cases hw access control gains you nothing (at least I'm not
seeing anything), it just makes the design more tricky. "Userspace can
manipulate the fences" is _intentionally_ how these things work, we
need a design that works with that hw design, not against it and
somehow tries to get us back to the old world, but only halfway (i.e.
not useful at all, since old userspace needs us to go all the way back
to dma_fence, and new userspace wants to fully exploit userspace
memory fences without artificial limitations for no reason).
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation