[Intel-gfx] Merging TTM branches through the Intel tree?

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Fri Jun 4 07:51:19 UTC 2021

Am 03.06.21 um 09:36 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 8:50 AM Thomas Hellström
> <thomas.hellstrom at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>> Other option (because the backmerges tend to be slow) is a topic branch,
>>> and we just eat/resolve the conflicts in both drm-misc-next and
>>> drm-intel-gt-next in the merge commit. If it's not too bad (I haven't
>>> looked at what exactly we need for the i915 side from ttm in detail).
>>>
>>> But also often figuring out the topic branch logistics takes longer than
>>> just merging to drm-misc-next as the patches get ready.
>>> -Daniel
>> Daniel: So the thing we need to get into TTM is the iterator-based
>> move_memcpy which is more adaptable than the current one and needed to
>> support non-linear lmem buffers, some bug-fixes and minor changes to be
>> able to keep our short-term-pinning while on the LRU. A necessary evil.
>>
>> Christian: it looks like you have landed some TTM changes already, in
>> particular the &bo->mem -> bo->resource change which is the main
>> conflict I think.

Yes, I thought that pushing this with Matthew rb should solve at least a
bit of the conflict.

>> Is the 10 patches self-allocation series the main
>> remaining part?

Yes, exactly. I only need Matthew's, Daniel's or your ok and I'm good to
go as well

>> That will probably cause some conflicts with already
>> pushed i915 TTM setup code, but otherwise will not conflict with the
>> rest of the TTM code I think, which should make it possible to bring in
>> our TTM changes after conflict resolution with what you've already
>> pushed. The memcpy code is pretty self-contained.
> I think in that case topic branch on top of drm-next (once the ttm
> bits we conflict with are there) is probably best, and then pull that
> into drm-misc-next and drm-intel-gt-next. Merge window freeze is also
> approach, so without topic branch we'd be stuck until like -rc2 when
> drm-next reopens. I guess Maarten can do the topic branch logistics in
> drm-misc.git for this.

That approach sounds good to me as well.

The amdgpu branch had some merge conflicts as well, but nothing we
couldn't fix.

Christian.