don't base trees on 5.12-rc1

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 19:11:36 UTC 2021

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 17:48, Maxime Ripard <maxime at cerno.tech> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:50:29AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > I'm mostly sending this to the -misc maintainers because
> > drm-misc-fixes is based on rc1 at present.
> >
> > This needs to be *rebased* not merged up to 5.12-rc2. Merging will
> > still have the bad landmine commits in the bisect history. This is a
> > very special case.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure I get this. -rc1 is still in the -rc2
> history, so how would that change anything in the bisect history?

We can't get rid of the bad commit range, we can reduce the amount of
times someone accidentally bisects into it, by not using it as a base
commit for future changes.

If in the future a bisect happens to want to test one of the patches
in drm-misc-fixes that is based on rc1, it will land the user with an
rc1 test kernel and could eat their swapfile/disk. We can avoid that
problem by not using rc1 as a base for drm-misc-fixes.

We can't avoid them bisecting into the broken commits between when
this landed and was fixed, but rebasing trees can minimise the chances
of this when bisecting other changesets.

Dave.