New warnings with gcc-11

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Mon May 10 09:20:01 UTC 2021

On Sat, 08 May 2021, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> I have heard nothing about this, and it remains the only warning from
> my allmodconfig build (I have another one for drm compiled with clang,
> but there I at least heard back that a fix exists).
>
> Since I am going to release rc1 tomorrow, and I don't want to release
> it with an ugly compiler warning, I took it upon myself to just fix
> the code:
>
>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=fec4d42724a1bf3dcba52307e55375fdb967b852
>
> HOWEVER.
>
> That commit fixes the warning, and is at worst harmless. At best it
> fixes an access to random stack memory. But it does smell like
> somebody who actually knows how these arrays work should look at that
> code.
>
> IOW, maybe the code should actually have read 16 bytes from the Event
> Status Indicator? Maybe offset 10 was wrong? Maybe
> drm_dp_channel_eq_ok() should never have taken six bytes to begin
> with?
>
> It's a mystery, and I haven't heard anything otherwise, so there it is.

Fair enough. My bad for not getting this fixed.

The fix is harmless. drm_dp_channel_eq_ok() only ever accesses 3 bytes
instead of 6. I figure the DP_LINK_STATUS_SIZE (=6) is there because in
the normal case you'd read that much, and use a family of functions on
that data, some of which do access the full 6 bytes, some don't.

In our case, we use drm_dp_channel_eq_ok() to check 3 bytes of similarly
encoded data elsewhere in the DPCD address space, and the
DP_LINK_STATUS_SIZE is meaningless there.

The straightforward fix would be to replace
link_status[DP_LINK_STATUS_SIZE] with link_status[3], and that likely
needs changes in dp_link_status() and dp_get_lane_status() as well.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center