[PULL] topic/iomem-mmap-vs-gup

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Mon May 17 15:29:35 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 9:30 AM Christoph Hellwig <hch at infradead.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 09:16:58AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > > End result: not pulling it, unless somebody can explain to me in small
> > > words why I'm wrong and have the mental capacity of a damaged rodent.
> >
> > No rodents I think, just more backstory of how this all fits. tldr;
> > pin_user_pages is the only safe use of this vb2 userptr thing.
>
> Yes, which is why I advocate for just ripping the follow_pfn path
> out entirely.  It could have been used for crazy ad dangerous peer to
> peer transfers outside of any infrastructure making it safe, or for
> pre-CMA kernel memory carveouts for lage contiguous memory allocations
> (which are pretty broken by design as well).  So IMHO the only sensible
> thing is to remove this cruft entirely, and if it breaks a currently
> working setup (which I think is unlikely) we'll have to make sure it
> can work the proper way.

Since I'm not getting any cozy consenus vibes here on any option I
think I'll just drop this.

Stephen, can you pls drop

git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm topic/iomem-mmap-vs-gup

from linux-next? It's not going anywhere. I'll also go ahead and
delete the branch, to make sure you catch this update :-)

Thanks, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation