[RFC] Add DMA_RESV_USAGE flags

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Mon May 17 22:49:40 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 3:15 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 9:38 PM Christian König
> <ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So the way this is fixed in every other vulkan driver is that vulkan
> > > userspace sets flags in the CS ioctl when it wants to synchronize with
> > > implicit sync. This gets you mostly there. Last time I checked amdgpu
> > > isn't doing this, and yes that's broken.
> >
> > And exactly that is a really bad approach as far as I can see. The
> > Vulkan stack on top simply doesn't know when to set this flag during CS.
>
> Adding Jason for the Vulkan side of things, because this isn't how I
> understand this works.
>
> But purely form a kernel pov your patches are sketchy for two reasons:
>
> - we reinstate the amdgpu special case of not setting exclusive fences
>
> - you only fix the single special case of i915 display, nothing else
>
> That's not how a cross driver interface works. And if you'd do this
> properly, you'd be back to all the same sync fun you've orignally had,
> with all the same fallout.

I think I'm starting to see what Christian is trying to do here and I
think there likely is a real genuine problem here.  I'm not convinced
this is 100% of a solution but there might be something real.  Let me
see if I can convince you or if I just make a hash of things. :-)

The problem, once again, comes down to memory fencing vs. execution
fencing and the way that we've unfortunately tied them together in the
kernel.  With the current architecture, the only way to get proper
write-fence semantics for implicit sync is to take an exclusive fence
on the buffer.  This implies two things:

 1. You have to implicitly wait on EVERY fence on the buffer before
you can start your write-fenced operation

 2. No one else can start ANY operation which accesses that buffer
until you're done.

Let's say that you have a buffer which is shared between two drivers A
and B and let's say driver A has thrown a fence on it just to ensure
that the BO doesn't get swapped out to disk until it's at a good
stopping point.  Then driver B comes along and wants to throw a
write-fence on it.  Suddenly, your memory fence from driver A causes
driver B to have to stall waiting for a "good" time to throw in a
fence.  It sounds like this is the sort of scenario that Christian is
running into.  And, yes, with certain Vulkan drivers being a bit
sloppy about exactly when they throw in write fences, I could see it
being a real problem.

The solution I *think* Christian is proposing is basically to have
four categories of fences instead of two: exclusive, weak (shared with
no r/w), read, and write.  (No, I didn't include r/w but that's the
same as write-only when it comes to hazards.)  Then a bunch of flags
and helpers to be able to handle the interactions between the three
types of shared fences.  Honestly, this is something I've considered
as I've wrestled with these problems in the past.  That said....

 1. In GL, we can make the read/write information accurate and never
over/under sync.

 2. In the future ANV model I described earlier, this isn't a problem.
It throws in a write-fence exactly once per frame.  It actually
under-synchronizes but in a safe way.  I think that mostly makes the
problem go away in practice.

 3. If the core issue here really is memory vs. execution sync as I've
said, maybe we really are papering over something by continuing to mix
them.  Do we really want four fence types or do we want two orthogonal
fence types?

I think I've convinced myself that the problem is real, but not that
this solution is correct.

--Jason