[RFC] Add DMA_RESV_USAGE flags

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue May 18 21:17:00 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 7:40 PM Christian König
<ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 18.05.21 um 18:48 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> > On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 2:49 PM Christian König
> > <ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Jason & Daniel,

> >> Yes, exactly that. You absolutely nailed it.
> >>
> >> I unfortunately also have a 3rd use case:
> >>
> >> 3. Operations which shouldn't participate in any syncing, but only
> >> affect the memory management.
> >>
> >> This is basically our heavyweight TLB flush after unmapping the BO from
> >> somebodies page tables. Nobody should ever be concerned about it for any
> >> form of synchronization, but memory managment is not allowed to reuse or
> >> move the buffer before the operation is completed.
> > Isn't that just another case of 2? Or I'm not getting it.
>
> The problem in this case is not starting a new CS, but synchronizing to
> the existing ones.
>
> See a heavy TLB flush is made completely out of sync. E.g. it doesn't
> want to wait for any previous operation.
>
> In other words imagine the following example:
> 1. Both process A and B have a BO mapped.
> 2. Process A is heavily using the BO and doing all kind of rendering.
> 3. Process B is unmapping the BO.
>
> Now that process B unmaps the BO needs to trigger page table updates and
> a heavy TLB flush, but since this can take really long we want to do it
> asynchronously on the hardware.
>
> With the current approach you basically can't do that because you can't
> note that a fence should not participate in synchronization at all.
>
> E.g. we can't add a fence which doesn't wait for the exclusive one as
> shared.

Ok I think that's a real problem, and  guess it's also related to all
the ttm privatization tricks and all that. So essentially we'd need
the opposite of ttm_bo->moving, as in you can't ignore it, but
otherwise it completely ignores all the userspace implicit fence
stuff.

> >> What are you talking about? We have no sync at all for submissions from
> >> the same client.
> > Yes. Except when the buffer is shared with another driver, at which
> > point you sync a _lot_ and feel the pain.
>
> Yes, exactly that's the problem.
>
> We basically don't know during CS if a BO is shared or not.
>
> We do know that during importing or exporting the BO thought.

No you don't. Or at least that's massively awkward, see Jason's reply.

> > Or I'm not understanding at all what your patch series does and why
> > it's improving anything, specifically the last patch for amdgpu.
> >
> > So please explain how this all adds up.

> >> Well actually it is only i915 I care of which is working differently.
> > It's also anything that uses the atomic commit helpers. They _all_
> > expect the exclusive fence to be set for the last write. i915 is the
> > odd one out here by having its own commit helpers still, most other
> > atomic drivers moved over to the helper version. But since I wrote
> > both I think you can trust me that they work the same :-)
> >
> >> Radeon works the same way as amdgpu by waiting for everything before
> >> doing command submission or pageflip.
> > The thing is, we don't want to wait for everything. We only want to
> > wait for the last writer, not for maybe a readback job or something
> > else. And this isn't just about atomic flip, it's for any
> > cross-device/process dma-buf sharing.
>
> Well exactly that's the problem. In amdgpu we do want to wait for
> multiple fences, but not for page table updates (for example).
>
> That also one of the reasons why the approach with adding an exclusive
> fence was never an option here.

Lying to the kernel is ok. That's the entire point I'm trying to get
across. And amdgpu needs to gain some uapi to make that lying
possible.

Also it's not lying, it's how this stuff works:
- For anything you don't share, you _never_ set the write flag.
Userspace takes care of any fencing needs itself. You alos tell the
kernel to _always_ ignore any exclusive fence it sets.
- For sharing you set the write flag, but _only_ only handover points.
Same when you synchronize with other access, you do that once at the
handover point, and then you tell the kernel to ignore the exclusive
fence everywhere else.

Essentially you treat implicit sync not as something magic, but as a
very screwed up IPC mechanism for explicit fences.

Again this isn't lying, it's how it works. The kernel cannot and must
not rely on userspace telling the truth (couldn't check it without a
cmd parser), so the only thing you can use the write flag respectively
exclusive fence is as an IPC slot for fences.

Use it like IPC, not like a shotgun approach of "maybe we should set a
fence and let the kernel sort out the mess".

> > There's essentially two worlds we have here:
> > - drivers which work like i915, where exclusive slot is for implicit
> > sync, and shared is just for "I'm using this"
> > - amdgpu (you claim more, I'm honestly not so sure since you only
> > fixed amdgpu and i915 display), where all access is in the shard
> > slots, and then on cross-* sync you want to sync with all of them.
>
> Well we also have radeon and nouveau which are basically lying to the
> kernel when they say that a BO is only read accessed to allow different
> submissions to the MM and graphics engine to run in parallel.

Again, lying is how this works. amdgpu needs to learn to lie too.

> > These two aren't compatible.
> >
> > Also please keep in mind that neither radeon nor nouveau have a vulkan
> > driver, so pretty sure they haven't had to solve this problem much
> > yet.
>
> Not the Vulkan problem, but the MM engine and GFX engine need to access
> the same BO with both reads and writes at the same time problem.
>
> > Also I just reviewed nouveau, nouveau_bo_fence() says your wrong with
> > your claim, it sets the exclusive fence when userspace indicates a
> > write domain.
> >
> > Also I looked at radeon, assuming I didn't get lost this seems to
> > indicate radeon also works like I think it should:
> >
> >          p->relocs[i].tv.num_shared = !r->write_domain;
> >
> > ttm_eu_fence_buffer_objects() then picks that up and sets the right
> > fence for radeon_cs.c code.
>
> Yes, your observation is correct. The problem is only that both nouveau
> and radeon are lying to the kernel (or at least they used to).
>
> We just never ran into problems because neither driver can share BOs
> containing NV12 pictures directly with other drivers.

Hm care to explain? Why is NV12 special?

> >> Exactly that is what we don't want to do because the winsys has no idea
> >> when to sync and when not to sync.
> > Uh ... so why exactly can anv do it? And turnip and a few others?
> > What's the precise case where the winsys can't do the sync itself,
> > because it has no idea what's going on, but somehow the kernel can?
> > Can you please explain this, because we're definitely talking past
> > each another here. I really don't see any case where the kernel has
> > additional information than the userspace drivers here. But there's
> > lots of cases where userspace definitely knows more.
>
> The kernel knows when a BO is used by a different process and can add
> the proper inter process synchronization there.

Yeah but why does your userspace not know when a bo is used?

Or very bluntly, why cant radv do what anv does (or amdvlk if you care
more about that, it's the same)? What's missing with lots of blantant
lying?

> >> The kernel on the other hand perfectly knows that.

> >> Well how can I help with that?
> >>
> >> Jason seems to have the perfect understanding why we have those problems.
> > See my other reply. I think aside from dma-buf p2p we don't actually
> > have a problem?
> >
> >> And as long as we are all inside amdgpu we also don't have any oversync,
> >> the issue only happens when we share dma-bufs with i915 (radeon and
> >> AFAIK nouveau does the right thing as well).
> > Yeah because then you can't use the amdgpu dma_resv model anymore and
> > have to use the one atomic helpers use. Which is also the one that
> > e.g. Jason is threathening to bake in as uapi with his dma_buf ioctl,
> > so as soon as that lands and someone starts using it, something has to
> > adapt _anytime_ you have a dma-buf hanging around. Not just when it's
> > shared with another device.
>
> Yeah, and that is exactly the reason why I will NAK this uAPI change.
>
> This doesn't works for amdgpu at all for the reasons outlined above.

Uh that's really not how uapi works. "my driver is right, everyone
else is wrong" is not how cross driver contracts are defined. If that
means a perf impact until you've fixed your rules, that's on you.

Also you're a few years too late with nacking this, it's already uapi
in the form of the dma-buf poll() support.

> > So the way I see things right now:
> > - exclusive fence slot is for implicit sync. kmd should only set it
> > when userspace indicates, otherwise you will suffer. Explicit syncing
> > userspace needs to tell the kernel with a flag in the CS ioctl when it
> > should sync against this exclusive fence and when it should ignore it,
> > otherwise you'll suffer badly once more.
>
> That is not sufficient. The explicit sync slot is for kernel internal
> memory management.

Then we need to split it. But what I discussed with Thomas Hellstrom
is that at least for anything except p2p dma-buf ttm_bo->moving should
be enough.

> E.g. every access needs to sync to it and we can't allow to ignore it by
> specifying an userspace flag.
>
> > - no funny tricks with not doing this when it's just internally in
> > your driver, because the more uapi we build on top of dma-buf fd the
> > harder this will break. amdgpu gets to keep some nasty tricks going
> > here until appropriate uapi is finally rolled out, but should stop
> > this asap.
>
> That is really not going to happen. The kernel is the only place where
> you can do proper implicit synchronization between processes.

I think you need to refute Jason's mail here with a bit more detail
than just a claim that this is so.

> > - ttm_bo->moving is the fence for stuff you're not allowed to ignore.
> > Probably need to move that to dma_resv for p2p dma-buf, not sure on
> > that yet.
>
> Well that's at least some possibility. But I would do it the other way
> around, the exclusive fence stays what it is and you add another
> implicit sync fence.

Can we please stop with the "amdgpu is right, everyone else is wrong" approach?

Like I'm pretty much going to type up the patch that does a full drm
subsytem audit of everything and whack amdgpu into compliance. Perf
hit be damned, you had a few years to fix this with better uapi. Or I
find out that there's a giant inconsistent mess, but at least we'd
gain some clarity about where exactly we are here and maybe what to do
next.
-Daniel