[RFC] Add DMA_RESV_USAGE flags

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Wed May 19 15:35:44 UTC 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 6:43 AM Christian König
<ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 19.05.21 um 00:06 schrieb Jason Ekstrand:
> > [SNIP]
> >> Ok I think that's a real problem, and  guess it's also related to all
> >> the ttm privatization tricks and all that. So essentially we'd need
> >> the opposite of ttm_bo->moving, as in you can't ignore it, but
> >> otherwise it completely ignores all the userspace implicit fence
> >> stuff.
> > Would you mind explaining it to the rest of the class?  I get the need
> > to do a TLB flush after a BO is removed from the processes address
> > space and I get that it may be super-heavy and that it has to be
> > delayed.  I also get that the driver needs to hold a reference to the
> > underlying pages until that TLB flush is done.  What I don't get is
> > what this has to do with the exclusive fence.  Why can't the driver
> > just gather up all the dma_resv fences on the current object (or,
> > better yet, just the ones from the current amdgpu process) and wait on
> > them all?  Why does it need to insert an exclusive fence that then
> > clogs up the whole works?
>
> Because we have mixed up resource management with implicit syncing.
>
> When I sum up all fences in (for example) a dma_fence_array container
> and add that as explicit fence to the dma_resv object resource
> management will do what I want and wait for everything to finish before
> moving or freeing the buffer. But implicit sync will just horrible over
> sync and wait for stuff it shouldn't wait for in the first place.
>
> When I add the fence as shared fence I can run into the problem the the
> TLB flush might finish before the exclusive fence. Which is not allowed
> according to the DMA-buf fencing rules.

I'm starting to feel a bit dense here, sorry...  So the problem is
that the TLB flush really wants to just wait on memory management
fences and not implicit sync fences?  Or is it that you need to wait
on the exclusive fence in case it actually matters but you don't want
to if it was stuffed in there for implicit sync and doesn't have any
memory implications?  Also, how bad is it for the TLB flush to come in
late?  Is other stuff blocking on it?

> We currently have some rather crude workarounds to make use cases like
> this work as expected. E.g. by using a
> dma_fence_chain()/dma_fence_array() and/or adding the explusive fence to
> the shared fences etc etc...

> >> No you don't. Or at least that's massively awkward, see Jason's reply.
> > Please.  In Vulkan, we know explicitly whether or not any BO will ever
> > be shared and, if a BO is ever flagged as shared even though it's not,
> > that's the app being stupid and they can eat the perf hit.
>
> Yeah, that's not a problem at all. We already have the per BO flag in
> amdgpu for this as well.
>
> > In GL, things are more wishy-washy but GL has so many stupid cases where we
> > have to throw a buffer away and re-allocate that one more isn't going
> > to be all that bad.  Even there, you could do something where you add
> > an in-fence to the BO export operation so that the driver knows when
> > to switch from the shared internal dma_resv to the external one
> > without having to create a new BO and copy.
>
> Hui what? What do you mean with in-fence here?

I could imagine wanting to have a sort of mode-switch on BO export
rather than the userspace driver creating a new exportable buffer and
copying into it.  That would get sticky if there was any outstanding
usage of said buffer that would need to be converted to from the
internal model of usage with explicit fences to a more
dma-buf-friendly model.  I was just saying that you could add
something to BO export to give amdgpu the information it needs to do
the switch.  If you're too confused, feel free to ignore this whole
idea.

> > [SNIP]
> >> Yeah but why does your userspace not know when a bo is used?
> > We always know when a BO is exported because we're the ones doing the
> > export call.  Always.  Of course, we don't know if that BO is shared
> > with another driver or re-imported back into the same one but is that
> > really the case we're optimizing for?
>
> Yes, unfortunately. Exactly that's one of the reasons we couldn't go
> with the per CS per BO flag if it should be shared or exclusive.
>
> >> Or very bluntly, why cant radv do what anv does (or amdvlk if you care
> >> more about that, it's the same)? What's missing with lots of blantant
> >> lying?
> > I'm also not buying this.  You keep claiming that userspace doesn't
> > know but GL definitely does know and Vulkan knows well enough.  You
> > say that it's motivated by Vulkan and use RADV as an example but the
> > only reason why the RADV guys haven't followed the ANV design is to
> > work around limitations in amdgpu.  We shouldn't then use RADV to
> > justify why this is the right uAPI and why i915 is wrong.
>
> Well, I never said that this is because of RADV. The main motivation we
> had is because of MM engines, e.g. VA-API, VDPAU and OpenMax.

Sorry, RADV was mentioned many e-mails ago and this is the first time
I've seen video mentioned.  I've just been going with what I read.

If this is an internal driver over-sync issue with video, that's a
whole different card game.  The ways this is tying you in knots makes
a lot more sense to me now, I think.

> And when we expose a BO with the DMA-buf functions we simply doesn't
> know in userspace if that is then re-imported into VA-API or send to a
> different process.

> >> Uh that's really not how uapi works. "my driver is right, everyone
> >> else is wrong" is not how cross driver contracts are defined. If that
> >> means a perf impact until you've fixed your rules, that's on you.
> >>
> >> Also you're a few years too late with nacking this, it's already uapi
> >> in the form of the dma-buf poll() support.
> > ^^  My fancy new ioctl doesn't expose anything that isn't already
> > there.  It just lets you take a snap-shot of a wait instead of doing
> > an active wait which might end up with more fences added depending on
> > interrupts and retries.  The dma-buf poll waits on all fences for
> > POLLOUT and only the exclusive fence for POLLIN.  It's already uAPI.
>
> Well that's not the stuff I'm concerned about. But rather that you want
> to add that as exclusive fence from the shared ones once more.
>
> This prevents the TLB flush case I've outlined from working correctly.

> >> Then we need to split it. But what I discussed with Thomas Hellstrom
> >> is that at least for anything except p2p dma-buf ttm_bo->moving should
> >> be enough.
> > This is starting to sound like maybe roughly the right direction to me
> > but I'm still unclear on exactly what problem we're trying to solve
> > for TLB invalidates.  I'd like to understand that better before giving
> > strong opinions.  I'm also not super-familiar with ttm_bo->moving but
> > it sounds like we need some third category of fence somewhere.
>
> Well I would rather say that we should separate the use cases.
>
> E.g. clear APIs for resource management vs. implicit sync.

No arguments there.  I'm all for separating those two use-cases.  I'm
just trying to understand the problem space.  I think I may finally be
getting there. :-)

--Jason