[Intel-gfx] [bisected] suspend broken by DRM fbdev name change on i915 IVB

Javier Martinez Canillas javierm at redhat.com
Thu Oct 7 13:01:46 UTC 2021

Hello,

On 10/7/21 14:38, Ville Syrjälä wrote:

[snip]

>> So the ABI change in /proc/fb causes the pm-utils scripts to
>> skip the --quirk-no-chvt and apply other quirks,
>> /var/log/pm-suspend.log says:
>
> Nasty. This pm-utils quirk stuff really has no business existing IMO,
> and so I recommend nuking pm-utils from your system as soon as possible.
> Back when I still had it on my machines (due to some silly dependency
> I think), I just created empty override files in /etc/pm/ to permanently
> disable all the quirks.
>
> But as long people might be using it I guess we need some kind of
> revert/fix to put the "drmfb" back into the name. Javier?

Yes, the change was just cosmetic because we had confusing names such as
"simpledrmdrmfb". When it was proposed, the agreement was that /proc/fb
shouldn't be considered an ABI but now we found that people are using it.

So I agree that would be better to revert this patch. Johannes, will you
post a revert or do you want me to do it ?

Best regards,
--
Javier Martinez Canillas
Linux Engineering