i915 ttm_tt shmem backend

Christian König ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 08:25:48 UTC 2021

Am 10.09.21 um 10:08 schrieb Thomas Hellström:
> Perhaps some background and goal is worth mentioning here.
>

> On Thu, 2021-09-09 at 17:56 +0100, Matthew Auld wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Sept 2021 at 17:43, Koenig, Christian
>> <Christian.Koenig at amd.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Matthew,
>>>
>>> this doesn't work, I've already tried something similar.
>>>
>>> TTM uses the reverse lookup functionality when migrating BOs
>>> between system and device memory. And that doesn't seem to work
>>> with pages from a shmem file.
>> Hmm, what do you mean by reverse lookup functionality? Could you
>> please point out where that is in the TTM code?
> I think this is in unmap_mapping_range() where, if we use VM_MIXEDMAP,
> there is a reverse lookup on the PTEs that point to real pages. Now
> that we move over to VM_PFNMAP, that problem should go away since core
> vm never has a page to investigate. Probably this is why things works
> on non-TTM i915 GEM.

Yeah, that was really likely the root problem. I didn't kept
investigating after realizing that my approach wouldn't work.

> @Christian: Some background here:
> First I think that there might be things like the above that will pose
> problems, and we may or may not be able to overcome those but more
> importantly is that we agree with you that *if* we make it work, it is
> something that you as a maintainer of TTM can accept from a design- and
> maintainabiltiy point of view.
>
> The approach would be similar to the buddy allocator, we adapt some
> driver code to TTM in a way that it may be reused with other drivers,
> and if other drivers are interested, we'd assist in moving to core TTM.
> In essence it'd be a TTM shmem page pool with full shrinking ability
> for cached pages only.
>
> What we're really after here is the ability to shrink that doesn't
> regress much w r t the elaborate shrinker that's in i915 today that is
> power management aware and is also able to start shmem writebacks to
> avoid shmem just caching the pages instead of giving them back to the
> system (IIRC it was partly the lack of this that blocked earlier TTM
> shrinking efforts).
>
> And since it doesn't really matter whether the shrinker sits in core
> TTM or in a driver, I think a future goal might be a set of TTM
> shrinker helpers that makes sure we shrink the right TTM object, and
> perhaps a simple implementation that is typically used by simple
> drivers and other drivers can build on that for a more elaborate power-
> management aware shrinker.

That's understandable, but I think not necessary what we should aim for
in the long term.

First of all I would really like to move more of the functionality from
ttm_pool.c into the core memory management, especially handling of
uncached and write combined memory.

That's essentially completely architecture dependent and currently
implemented extremely awkward. Either Daniels suggestion of having a
GFP_WC or Christophs approach of moving all this into the DMA API is the
way to go here.

As long as i915 has no interest in USWC support implementing their own
shmemfile backend sounds fine to me, but I have strong doubt that this
will be of use to anybody else.

Christian.