[git pull] drm for 5.14-rc1

Michael Stapelberg michael at stapelberg.ch
Sat Sep 18 09:18:33 UTC 2021

Hi,

torvalds at linux-foundation.org (Linus Torvalds) writes:
> Did I fix it up correctly? Who knows. The code makes more sense to me
> now and seems valid. But I really *really* want to stress how locking
> is important.

As far as I can tell, this merge conflict resolution made my Raspberry
Pi 3 hang on boot. You can find the full serial console output at:

https://t.zekjur.net/linux-5.14-raspberry-pi-3-hang-vc4.txt

The last few messages are from vc4, then the boot hangs.

Using git-bisect, I tracked this down to
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/e058a84bfddc42ba356a2316f2cf1141974625c9,
which is the merge you’re talking about here, AFAICT.

I also tried the git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm, and that tree
boots as expected, suggesting that the problem really is with the
additional changes.

The code seems to work on my Raspberry Pi 4, just not on the Raspberry
Pi 3. Any ideas why that might be, and how to fix it?

Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Michael