Handling DRM master transitions cooperatively

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Sep 22 09:21:16 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 9/22/21 10:56 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 15:45:21 +0200
> Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 09, 2021 at 10:37:03AM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>>> What does this mean and refer to?
>>>
>>> Are you trying to say, that closing the DRM device fd (freeing the file
>>> description) causes an implicit RmFB on all the FBs tied to that DRM
>>> device file description?
>>>
>>> I never realised that before.
>>
>> Yes, final close does iterate over fb and do an RMFB. Which is why we've
>> had this discussion whether closefb semantics should be an ADDFB2 flag at
>> creation time instead.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> such flag would make sense to me.

Hmm, I was thinking having a separate call to mark a FB to switch to
closefb semantics. But both plymouth (because of end of animation)
and GNOME (because a mostly empty gnome-shell needs to be rendered
to avoid leaking privacy sensitive info) will need to prepare a
special FB on exit anyways, so then an ADDFB2 flag would work fine.

I would be happy to work on the plymouth side of this, so that we
have at least one consumer of such a flag lined up for merging.

Regards,

Hans