Handling DRM master transitions cooperatively

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 08:52:05 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 9/23/21 10:23 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:21:16 +0200
> Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 9/22/21 10:56 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> such flag would make sense to me.
>>
>> Hmm, I was thinking having a separate call to mark a FB to switch to
>> closefb semantics. But both plymouth (because of end of animation)
>> and GNOME (because a mostly empty gnome-shell needs to be rendered
>> to avoid leaking privacy sensitive info) will need to prepare a
>> special FB on exit anyways, so then an ADDFB2 flag would work fine.
>>
>> I would be happy to work on the plymouth side of this, so that we
>> have at least one consumer of such a flag lined up for merging.
>
> Right, but I'm thinking this from the other side: why would anyone
> deliberately *want* RmFB semantics on device close?

Device-close also happens on application crashes. So basically
any time where the app (typically a display-server) may display
privacy sensitive contents which we don't want to leak to other
apps, we want RmFB semantics on close.

ATM e.g. GNOME just leaves everything on the screen in place
at logout / shutdown. So "apps" are definitely going to need to
have some work done to them to make sure that from a privacy
pov it is safe to leave the FB in place after they exit.

> I can't think of any, and hence I would be inclined to assume that
> userspace would just switch to using closefb semantics for everything
> all the time.
>
> Legacy userspace is one thing, but userspace that is updated to set
> closefb semantics will also be aware of what closefb means: it leaves
> the FBs up and CRTCs and planes enabled, if you leave them like that.
> So if they don't want that, they know they should not do that.
>
> Asking in another way: why would the same program sometimes use RmFB
> semantics and sometimes closefb semantics? Even more so, why would one
> switch an FB from one to the other?
>
> Hmm... to prevent leaking sensitive FBs on crash, perhaps?

Right, I should have read your whole email before responding.

> But you can
> do that decision at AddFB2 time, right?

Yes I believe so.

> Maybe not, as you can't really
> force EGL to allocate a new buffer at will.

It does not need to be a new buffer as long as we are sure it has
safe contents in it, there will need to be a special render path
for rendering a "safe" desktop view on logout and once that
rendering has completed to a buffer, then that buffer can be
considered safe I guess (note I don't have a whole lot of
experience with EGL).

> Oh, but when EGL gives me a
> buffer that I know is safe to leave up, I also know that it is not up
> on any KMS plane (no front buffer rendering), so I can just RmFB and
> AddFB2 again. That's a bit of a detour though.
>
> At least a separate ioctl on an FB would be more flexible than a flag
> at AddFB2.
>
> Btw. what happens if I try to AddFB2 the same buffer twice?

These questions are best answered by someone who knows this stuff
better then me...

Regards,

Hans