How should "max bpc" KMS property work?

Sebastian Wick sebastian.wick at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 21:29:02 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 5:41 PM Harry Wentland <harry.wentland at amd.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > amdgpu does. We have two drivers doing different things then?
> > > So with Weston I probably have to document, that if you can't get the
> > video mode you want working, try turning the 'max bpc' knob down and
> > try again.
> >
> > Or, I could cap 'max bpc' based on my framebuffer depth. If I have an
> > electrical 8 bit FB (default in Weston), then there is not much use for
> > having 'max bpc' > 8. This ignores the KMS color pipeline a bit. Does
> > that make sense?
> >

> I think both of those options make sense. I'll need to think about the
> automatic fallback if we don't have enough bandwidth for max_bpc.
>
> If a KMS driver falls back automatically we probably want some way
> for a (color managed) compositor to know if the output bpc is reduced.
>
> > Does KMS use dithering automatically, btw?
> >

> amdgpu's display driver does.
>
> > The only mention of dithering in KMS docs is some nouveau-specific KMS
> > properties and another for radeon.

> >> IMO the bpc part should be handled by the kernel since we already
> >> had this behaviour even before the "max bpc" prop was introduced
> >> and we didn't add an explicit "use this bpc or fail" prop. But of
> >> course you should have some kind of sensible fallback strategy for
> >> things that just fail for other reasons.
> >
> > Right, but this means that I don't have to add 'max bpc' as yet another
> > dimension in the combinatorial explosion of KMS parameters I would need
> > to search to find a working setup. That's really good.
> >
> > The one thing missing is seeing what format and bpc we actually got on
> > the link.
> >
> >> The one problem we have in the kernel is that we have no way to
> >> ask the user if the display we tried to light up is actually
> >> working. So our policy decisions can't really involve user input.
> >> Userspace should not generally have that problem.
> >
> > Indeed.
> >
> > Also like Alex said, the kernel does not know if the user prefers high
> > color depth or high refresh rate either. One way to solve that is to
> > light up the requested video mode any way the kernel can, and then
> > report what the resulting color depth is. Another way is to have
> > explicit "use this bpc or fail" KMS property, maybe in the form of 'min
> > bpc' as I recall being discussed in the past, and let userspace guess
> > what might work. The former is easier to light up, but probing requires
> > actually setting the modes. The latter may require a lot of
> > trial-and-error from userspace to find anything that works, but it
> > takes only time and not blinking - as far as things can be detected
> > with TEST_ONLY commits. Then one still has to ask the user if it
> > actually worked.
> >

> min_bpc sounds like something we might want for HDR use-cases, unless
> the compositor has a way to confirm the output box (and format). min_bpc
> would allow the KMS driver to pick the lowest required bpc so the
> compositor always has a guarantee of quality.

IMO that would be ideal. The driver should try to reduce bandwidth by lowering
the bpc down to the min_bpc if the hardware can't drive the selected mode at a
higher bpc. User space usually knows which bpc is sufficient for the use case
but will never complain about too much bpc. Drivers which don't support
lowering the bpc dynamically can then still go with the min_bpc and user space
still gets all the modes which work with the minimum required bpc.