How do I gather up new code to be converted as patches?

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Wed Jun 22 18:06:28 UTC 2022

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 07:18:58PM +0200, Kevin Brace wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to I use git to gather up new code to be converted to patches?
> Specifically, I have 20+ new files in one location (drivers/gpu/drm/via)
> and a small change to DRM main make file (drivers/gpu/drm/Makefile).

One simple way to do this is to start with a clean tree, and then add
files step by step.
20+ files in one patch is too much to review, so decide for a
reasonable split between the files.

Maybe something like (as inspiration find your own split):
0) Documentation - or add this in you cover letter. Enough info to give
the reader a rough understanding of the HW and the driver structure.
1) Driver files
2) Util files
3) Files for the memory handling
4) Files for irq handling
5) HW specific files
6) A the final patch - the Kconfig, and Makefile adjustments.

It is important that the final patch is final as you would otherwise
break the build.

I look forward to see the patches!

	Sam