Parallel modesets and private state objects broken, where to go with MST?

Lyude Paul lyude at redhat.com
Wed Mar 23 18:34:35 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-03-23 at 11:25 +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> [...]
> >       on, but is not directly attached to. This connector must be pulled
> >       into the atomic state whenever this CRTC requires a modeset.
> >
> > The reason for adding all of these fields to drm_connector_state and
> > drm_crtc_state is because I don't think it's possible for us to rely on
> > a particular private object being in all atomic states - so we need a
> > way for the DRM core to be able to understand these object relationships
> > on it's own and reference them from any type of atomic state change so
> > that we can pull in dependent CRTCs as needed.
>
> Why would tracking the mst private state object not be good enough? In any
> of the modesets which touch mst state you'd need to grab the mst state to
> change anything anyway (or there's a quite serious driver bug somewhere),
> so the private object should always be part of actual modeset changes.
>
> Maybe there's some creative ways for drivers to get this wrong, but then I
> think it'd be better to think about how to prevent those than work around
> it. Since doing an mst modeset without having the mst state handy sounds
> rather broken irrespective of nonblocking atomic commit issues.
>
> > From there, we'd just:
> >   * Add some functions to handle these new fields, something like:
> >     * drm_atomic_reserve_crtc_for_connector(crtc, encoder, conn_state)
> >     * drm_atomic_release_crtc_from_connector(crtc, conn_state)
> >   * Teach the various DRM core functions how to handle these new fields
> >
> > Does this seem like I'm on the right track so far? JFYI - I've been busy
> > trying to write up some patches for this, but there's definitely a lot
> > of code to go through and change.
>
> tbh your entire scheme feels like adding commit tracking for private state
> objects, except we somehow don't track it on the private state itself, but
> instead spread it all around to semi-related existing modeset objects. And
> note that wrt the atomic commit machinery, drm_encoder isn't even a
> modeset object (it has no state of its own and is fully tracked by the
> (crtc, connector) combo). So this all feels very backwards.
>
> Plus vc4 shows that there's other cases where tracking on the private
> state object is needed, mst wouldn't be the only thing. Your scheme would
> not be useful for vc4 at all, only for mst dependency tracking.
>
> Also the encoder has the additional fun that there's multiple fake
> encoders for a single real mst port, whereas the mst state is an actual
> single struct per mst port.
>
> Note that drm_crtc_commit is intentionally a stand-alone refcounted thing,
> so that it can attached to random other pieces for tracking dependencies,
> and we do attache them to various pieces all over already (for connector
> and plane switching). Your proposal is inventing a new way to track
> cross-crtc dependencies, and I'm confused why that's needed.
>
> I guess in all this I don't get in what way your proposal here is better
> than just adding dependency tracking to private state structs?

I wonder if I was misunderstanding the issue you were pointing out then. The
reason I ended up trying to add this to the connector structs is because I
thought one of the issues that you brought up was the fact that we wouldn't be
able to handle encoder conflicts with the MST encoder properly because of the
fake encoder - and that issue would cause us not to be able to properly
determine which CRTCs we need to block on for commits that try to use the real
encoder behind the fake encoder later. I had attempted this because in such a
situation, it doesn't seem like we'd be guaranteed that the MST manager would
actually be in the state if say - the only thing we're doing is trying to
enable an SST display on a connector that previously had an MST topology
(which has since been disabled in a non-blocking commit that hasn't finished
yet).

So I guess I'm not really sure where to go from here then? This whole rabbit
hole dive started from me trying to move MST over to using private objects for
state tracking as much as possible - which lead to questions on whether or not
that would be safe at all with MST because of connectors changing and fake
encoders. FWIW The issue that started things was me asking whether we could
fill certain information into a private object's state from the context of an
atomic commit (since this makes certain aspects of payload table management
easier). So I'm really just looking for a way to make these things work, and
ensure that we're not doing anything unsafe by using the private state for the
topology manager this way.