amdgpu link problem (was Re: [git pull] drm for 5.18-rc1)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Mar 29 01:54:23 UTC 2022

I didn't notice this until now, probably because everything still
_works_, but I get a new big warning splat at bootup on my main
workstation these days as of the merge window changes.

The full warning is attached, but it's basically the ASSERT(0) at line 938 in

  drivers/gpu/drm/amd/display/dc/core/dc_link.c

and it looks to have been introduced by commit c282d9512cdd
("drm/amd/display: factor out dp detection link training and mst top
detection").

This is the same old setup I've reported before, with some random
Radeon card with two monitors attached (PCI ID 1002:67df rev e7,
subsystem ID 1da2:e353).

I think the card went by the name "Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB" in case
any of that matters, but it's been working fine.

It still works fine, it just has a big ugly boot-time splat.

As mentioned, two 4K monitors attached, both over HDMI.

If there is any particular info you want, just let me know where/how
to find it, and I can provide.

                      Linus