RFC: DSI/DRM multiplexer bridge

Jagan Teki jagan at amarulasolutions.com
Wed Apr 12 06:22:28 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 1:17 PM Alexander Stein
<alexander.stein at ew.tq-group.com> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 6. April 2023, 11:55:52 CEST schrieb Jagan Teki:
> > [Replying the Daniel thread since he included bridge maintainers]
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 6, 2023 at 2:07 PM Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> > > Adding the usual bridge maintainer/review folks since this looks tricky.
> > > -Daniel

> > So, you need to manually adjust the switch and boot the required
> > output and the state of the output depends on the set switch gpios
> > isn't it? do you need to set any gpio so that the required output will
> > select?
>
> That's correct. There is no GPIO I need to set by software for the outputs
> (despite the enable GPIO on the DSI-to-X bridges, but this is handled in their
> appropriate drivers).

If we don't do any gpio handling in mux-bridge then why do we need
mux-bridge? what exactly is the job of the mux-bridge driver?

> > This looks correct to me, as I designed the similar one.

> > In my opinion, the switched-bridge needs to focus on switching the
> > outputs based on DIP gpios, and hotplug events need to handle the
> > associated display bridges like DP, HDMI, etc. It is possible for the
> > switched-bridge to route the output displays without the hot plug.
>
> I agree, IMHO hotplug/HPD events is related to downstream connectors.
>
> > Assume the switched-bridge has port 1 and ep 0 connected to LVDS and
> > port 1 and ep 1 connected to DP. then find and attach them at the
> > bridge attach function. and do the necessary gpio enablements in
> > enable or pre_enables.
>
> Ah nice. My initial idea was:
> * port 0 ep 0: input
> * port 1 ep 0: LVDS
> * port 2 ep 0: DP
>
> But using two endpoints in one port looks neat. Although I'm not sure if there
> is an actual difference.

This is also possible but sometimes port 1 with ep 0, 1 means we
pipeline offers 2 outputs but one at a time.

> But if the GPIO check is only done in enable/pre_enable there is no way to
> support changing the DIP switch aka switched-bridge at runtime. There is
> nothing the hotplug (non-HPD) event can be sent to, no?

The idea here is to change the bridge chain and this can be done in
static via dt or runtime. In your case the state of the DIP-switch
resembles desired output, correct? if so if we read that state at
run-time, find the output, and attach that particular bridge chain. Fo
dt case of showing output read the dt about the output state and
attach the bridge chain accordingly.

Thanks,
Jagan.