[RFC 0/4] Expose RPS thresholds in sysfs

Tvrtko Ursulin tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com
Thu Apr 27 12:45:33 UTC 2023

From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at intel.com>

>From patch 4:

    User feedback indicates significant performance gains are possible in
    specific games with non default RPS up/down thresholds.

    Expose these tunables via sysfs which will allow users to achieve best
    performance when running games and best power efficiency elsewhere.

    Note this patch supports non GuC based platforms only.

Issue 8389 suggests 10-15% performance gains are possible with tweaked
thresholds.

One question is are we able to find a "one size fits all" values.

However regardless of that, given we already expose frequency controls in sysfs
with the same reasoning of allowing system owners explicit control if so wanted,
I think exposing the thresholds can be equally justified.

Tvrtko Ursulin (4):
  drm/i915: Move setting of rps thresholds to init
  drm/i915: Record default rps threshold values
  drm/i915: Add helpers for managing rps thresholds
  drm/i915: Expose RPS thresholds in sysfs

 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gt/intel_gt_sysfs_pm.c | 104 ++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gt/intel_gt_types.h    |   3 +
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gt/intel_rps.c         |  65 +++++++++---
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gt/intel_rps.h         |   4 +

2.37.2