Implement svm without BO concept in xe driver

Zeng, Oak oak.zeng at intel.com
Mon Aug 21 19:41:19 UTC 2023

Great point. I also discussed the dmabuf thing with Mike (cc'ed). dmabuf is a particular technology created specially for the BO driver (and other driver) to share buffer b/t devices. Hmm/system SVM doesn't need this technology: malloc'ed memory by the nature is already shared b/t different devices (in one process) and CPU. We just can simply submit GPU kernel to all devices with malloc'ed memory and let kmd decide the memory placement (such as map in place or migrate). No need of buffer export/import in hmm/system SVM world.

So yes from buffer sharing perspective, the design philosophy is also very different.

Thanks,
Oak