Question: partial transfers of DMABUFs

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Wed Feb 15 13:56:09 UTC 2023

Am 15.02.23 um 14:52 schrieb Paul Cercueil:
> Le mercredi 15 février 2023 à 14:46 +0100, Christian König a écrit :
>> Am 15.02.23 um 14:24 schrieb Paul Cercueil:
>>> Hi Christian,

>>> TL/DR, why was it a mistake? Just curious.
>> The sg_table should have just contained DMA addresses, but we had
>> multiple people who tried to use the pages instead.
>>
>> This works to some extend, but goes boom as soon as somebody messes
>> with
>> the pages reference counts or tries to map it into an address space
>> or
>> something like that.
>>
>> We got so far that we now intentionally mangle the page addresses in
>> the
>> sg_table to prevent people from using it:
>> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/dma-buf/dma-buf.c#L763
> Isn't that breaking the chains though? I'd expect page_link to be
> mangled only if !sg_is_chain(sg).

Those are filtered out by for_each_sgtable_sg if I'm not completely
mistaken.

>>> Ok, so I believe at some point we will need an equivalent of
>>> dmaengine_prep_slave_sg() which takes an array of DMA addresses.
>> Well we will probably come up with a new container for this, but
>> yeah.
> Understood.
>
> You said there was work underway, could you point me to the
> corresponding mailing list threads and/or code?

That's not really released yet. We just discussed it a bit when Daniel
added the sg_table mangling after this went boom for the third time so :)

Just use git blame to find the patch of the mangling and read up on the
mailing list discussion around that.

Regards,
Christian.