[ANNOUNCE] pixfmtdb

Simon Ser contact at emersion.fr
Mon Jan 23 14:10:58 UTC 2023

Hi all,

In the last few days I've been working on a small new project, pixfmtdb [1].
It's a Web database of pixel format guides, it can be useful to understand
how pixels are laid out in memory for a given format and which formats from
various APIs are compatible with each other.

pixfmtdb relies on the Khronos Data Format Specification [2] to describe
each format. This means that each format is described with a standardized
data blob, which can be re-used with other tools for other purposes.

My future plans include adding more formats and format families to pixfmtdb,
and make it easy to use the data for code generation, in particular for
automatically generating tables containing metadata about formats, as used
in Wayland compositors and other projects.

I hope some of you can find this work useful,

Simon

[1]: https://pixfmtdb.emersion.fr
[2]: https://www.khronos.org/dataformat