DMA-heap driver hints

John Stultz jstultz at google.com
Tue Jan 24 05:19:28 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 8:29 AM Christian König
<christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:
> Am 23.01.23 um 14:55 schrieb Laurent Pinchart:
> > - I assume some drivers will be able to support multiple heaps. How do
> >    you envision this being implemented ?
>
> I don't really see an use case for this.
>
> We do have some drivers which say: for this use case you can use
> whatever you want, but for that use case you need to use specific memory
> (scan out on GPUs for example works like this).

[snipping the constraints argument, which I agree with]

> What we do have is compatibility between heaps. E.g. a CMA heap is
> usually compatible with the system heap or might even be a subset of
> another CMA heap. But I wanted to add that as next step to the heaps
> framework itself.

So the difficult question is how is userland supposed to know which
heap is compatible with which?

If you have two devices, one that points to heap "foo" and the other
points to heap "bar", how does userland know that "foo" satisfies the
constraints of "bar" but "bar" doesn't satisfy the constraints of
"foo".
(foo ="cma",  bar="system")

I think it would be much better for device 1 to list "foo" and device
2 to list "foo" and "bar", so you can find that "foo" is the common
heap which will solve both devices' needs.

> > - Devices could have different constraints based on particular
> >    configurations. For instance, a device may require specific memory
> >    layout for multi-planar YUV formats only (as in allocating the Y and C
> >    planes of NV12 from different memory banks). A dynamic API may thus be
> >    needed (but may also be very painful to use from userspace).
>
> Uff, good to know. But I'm not sure how to expose stuff like that.

Yeah. These edge cases are really hard to solve generically.  And
single devices that have separate constraints for different uses are
also not going to be solvable with a simple linking approach.

But I do wonder if a generic solution to all cases is needed
(especially if it really isn't possible)? If we leave the option for
gralloc like omniscient device-specific userland policy, those edge
cases can be handled by those devices that can't run generic logic.
And those devices just won't be able to be supported by generic
distros, hopefully motivating future designs to have less odd
constraints?

thanks
-john