DMA-heap driver hints

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Tue Jan 24 07:48:57 UTC 2023

Am 24.01.23 um 04:56 schrieb James Jones:
> On 1/23/23 08:58, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>> Hi Christian,

> Thank you for including me.

Sorry for not having you in initially. I wasn't aware of your previous
work in this area.

>>> I was wondering the same thing as well, but came to the conclusion that
>>> just the other way around is the less painful approach.
>>
>>  From a kernel point of view, sure, it's simpler and thus less painful.
>>  From the point of view of solving the whole issue, I'm not sure :-)
>>
>>> The problem is that there are so many driver specific constrains that I
>>> don't even know where to start from.
>>
>> That's where I was hoping James would have some feedback for us, based
>> on the work he did on the Unix device memory allocator. If that's not
>> the case, we can brainstorm this from scratch.
>
> Simon Ser's and my presentation from XDC 2020 focused entirely on
> this. The idea was not to try to enumerate every constraint up front,
> but rather to develop an extensible mechanism that would be flexible
> enough to encapsulate many disparate types of constraints and perform
> set operations on them (merging sets was the only operation we tried
> to solve). Simon implemented a prototype header-only library to
> implement the mechanism:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/emersion/drm-constraints
>
> The links to the presentation and talk are below, along with notes
> from the follow-up workshop.
>
> https://lpc.events/event/9/contributions/615/attachments/704/1301/XDC_2020__Allocation_Constraints.pdf
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEClOP5TIk
> https://paste.sr.ht/~emersion/c43b30be08bab1882f1b107402074462bba3b64a
>
> Note one of the hard parts of this was figuring out how to express a
> device or heap within the constraint structs. One of the better ideas
> proposed back then was something like heap IDs, where dma heaps would
> each have one,

We already have that. Each dma_heap has it's own unique name.

> and devices could register their own heaps (or even just themselves?)
> with the heap subsystem and be assigned a locally-unique ID that
> userspace could pass around.

I was more considering that we expose some kind of flag noting that a
certain device needs its buffer allocated from that device to utilize
all use cases.

> This sounds similar to what you're proposing. Perhaps a reasonable
> identifier is a device (major, minor) pair. Such a constraint could be
> expressed as a symlink for easy visualization/discoverability from
> userspace, but might be easier to serialize over the wire as the
> (major, minor) pair. I'm not clear which direction is better to
> express this either: As a link from heap->device, or device->heap.

>>> I don't really see an use case for this.
>
> One use case I know of here is same-vendor GPU local memory on
> different GPUs. NVIDIA GPUs have certain things they can only do on
> local memory, certain things they can do on all memory, and certain
> things they can only do on memory local to another NVIDIA GPU,
> especially when there exists an NVLink interface between the two. So
> they'd ideally express different constraints for heap representing
> each of those.

I strongly think that exposing this complexity is overkill. We have
pretty much the same on AMD GPUs with XGMI, but this is so vendor
specific that I'm pretty sure we shouldn't have that in a common framework.

We should concentrate on solving the problem at hand and not trying to
come up with something to complex to be implementable by everybody.
Extensibility is the key here not getting everything handled in the
initial code drop.

> [...]
> sufficient to expose lower-level mechanisms from the kernel and keep
> the translation of constraints to the correct mechanism in userspace.
> There are pros/cons to both. I don't know that we bottomed out on that
> part of the discussion, and it could be the right answer is some
> combination of the two, as suggested below.
>
>>> What I want to do is to separate the problem. The kernel only provides
>>> the information where to allocate from, figuring out the details like
>>> how many bytes, which format, plane layout etc.. is still the job of
>>> userspace.
>>
>> Even with UVC, where to allocate memory from will depend on the use
>> case. If the consumer is a device that doesn't support non-contiguous
>> DMA, the system heap won't work.
>>
>> Actually, could you explain why UVC works better with the system heap ?
>> I'm looking at videobuf2 as an importer, and it doesn't call the dmabuf
>> as far as I can tell, so cache management provided by the exporter seems
>> to be bypassed in any case.
>>
>>> What we do have is compatibility between heaps. E.g. a CMA heap is
>>> usually compatible with the system heap or might even be a subset of
>>> another CMA heap. But I wanted to add that as next step to the heaps
>>> framework itself.

>>> Uff, good to know. But I'm not sure how to expose stuff like that.
>>
>> Let's see if James has anything to share with us :-) With a bit of luck
>> we won't have to start from scratch.
>
> Well, this is the hard example we keep using as a measure of success
> for whatever we come up with. I don't know that someone ever sat down
> and tried to express this in the mechanism Simon and I proposed in
> 2020, but allowing the expression of something that complex was
> certainly our goal. How to resolve it down to an allocation mechanism,
> I believe, was further than we got, but we weren't that well versed in
> DMA heaps back then, or at least I wasn't.

>>> Thanks for the pointer and the review,
>>
>> By the way, side question, does anyone know what the status of dma heaps
>> support is in major distributions ? On my Gentoo box,
>> /dev/dma_heap/system is 0600 root:root. That's easy to change for a
>> developer, but not friendly to end-users. If we want to move forward
>> with dma heaps as standard multimedia allocators (and I would really
>> like to see that happening), we have to make sure they can be used.
>
> We seem to have reached a world where display (primary nodes) are
> carefully guarded, and some mildly trusted group of folks (video) can
> access render nodes, but then there's some separate group generally
> for camera/video/v4l and whatnot from what I've seen (I don't survey
> this stuff that often. I live in my developer bubble). I'm curious
> whether the right direction is a broader group that encompasses all of
> render nodes, multimedia, and heaps, or if a more segmented design is
> right. The latter is probably the better design from first principles,
> but might lead to headaches if the permissions diverge.

The main argument is that this memory is not properly accounted, but
this also counts for things like memory file descriptors returned by
memfd_create().

I have proposed multiple times now that we extend the OOM handling to
take memory allocated through file descriptors into account as well, but
I can't find the time to fully upstream this.

T.J. Mercier is working on some memcg based tracking which sounds like
it might resolve this problem as well.

Regards,
Christian.