IMX8MM: assign panel to mipi_dsi in a device tree

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at posteo.de
Mon Mar 6 19:05:58 UTC 2023

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 09:43:22 +0100
Frieder Schrempf <frieder.schrempf at kontron.de> wrote:
>This is the NXP vendor kernel which differs a lot from mainline,
>especially in the graphics/display area. You probably won't get much
>support from this list as most people here (including me) would advise
>against using the vendor kernel at all.

Understandable, I did the same at the time when I was working in media
and DVB was still a thing.

>Probably they are working and probably you can get your setup working,
>too, somehow. But you would need to ask for help in the NXP community
>or elsewhere. The other option is to switch to mainline (recommended)
>and use Jagan's patches for DSIM support that are about to be
>upstreamed.

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately my client wants to stick with
the vendor kernel, so my only chance is to see whether it works with
upstream mainline and if so, at least I know the hardware is OK.

Why oh why do we have vendor kernels? In small-system's Linux there
sooo many vendor kernels. Very hard to understand. It's 2023.

The answers to a similar problem I found in the NXP community board
was: go look at the driver source and see what's wrong.

Thanks again for your answers.

best regards,
--
Patrick.