[regression] RPI4B drm vc4: no crtc or sizes since 5.17 (works in 5.16; and still broken in at least 6.1)

Dave Stevenson dave.stevenson at raspberrypi.com
Fri Mar 10 13:10:22 UTC 2023

On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 at 12:59, AL13N <alien at rmail.be> wrote:

> I donno if this is related or not, but since 6.1 has v3d, i'm assuming
> the opengl compositor will be faster and not draw too much cpu?
>
> I did try youtube video, but that on 1080p fullscreen, takes all the CPU
> and seems to have dropped frames still?

Does your browser actually use sensible EGL calls to pass dmabufs
around the system? Chromium with Ozone sort of does, but that's about
it.
It's another thing that is implemented in Raspberry Pi OS.

I've already referred you to https://github.com/lategoodbye/rpi-zero/issues/43
> VCHIQ codecs - Unknown

It is present in our vendor kernel, but not upstreamed. You've chosen
to run mainline.

> and is this related to
> drm? because netflix did not work at all, which requires drm, but is
> this a different a different drm than this driver?

Digital Rights Management != Direct Rendering Manager.

Netflix on an unsecured platform will only work through something like
Widevine for software decode.

  Dave