Linux 6.3-rc3

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Mar 20 18:26:17 UTC 2023

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:05 AM Nathan Chancellor <nathan at kernel.org> wrote:

> On the clang front, I am still seeing the following warning turned error
> for arm64 allmodconfig at least:
>
>   drivers/gpu/host1x/dev.c:520:6: error: variable 'syncpt_irq' is uninitialized when used here [-Werror,-Wuninitialized]
>           if (syncpt_irq < 0)
>               ^~~~~~~~~~

Hmm. I do my arm64 allmodconfig builds with gcc, and I'm surprised
that gcc doesn't warn about this.

That syncpt_irq thing isn't written to anywhere, so that's pretty egregious.

We use -Wno-maybe-uninitialized because gcc gets it so wrong, but
that's different from the "-Wuninitialized" thing (without the
"maybe").

I've seen gcc mess this up when there is one single assignment,
because then the SSA format makes it *so* easy to just use that
assignment out-of-order (or unconditionally), but this case looks
unusually clear-cut.

So the fact that gcc doesn't warn about it is outright odd.

> If that does not come to you through other means before -rc4, could you
> just apply it directly so that I can stop applying it to our CI? :)

Bah. I took it now, there's no excuse for that thing.

Do we have any gcc people around that could explain why gcc failed so
miserably at this trivial case?

                   Linus