PROBLEM: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X iGPU - Blinking Issue

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon May 1 13:27:03 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 3:20 AM Felix Richter <judge at felixrichter.tech> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running into an issue with the integrated GPU of the Ryzen 9 7950X. It seems to be a regression from kernel version 6.1 to 6.2.
> The bug materializes in from of my monitor blinking, meaning it turns full white shortly. This happens very often so that the system becomes unpleasant to use.
>
> I am running the Archlinux Kernel:
> The Issue happens on the bleeding edge kernel: 6.2.13
> Switching back to the LTS kernel resolves the issue: 6.1.26
>
> I have two monitors attached to the system. One 42 inch 4k Display and a 24 inch 1080p Display and am running sway as my desktop.
>
> Let me know if there is more information I could provide to help narrow down the issue.

It's related to scatter/gather display.  As a workaround, you can
disable scatter/gather display by setting amd.sg_display=0 on the
kernel command line in grub.  It's fixed properly in:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/agd5f/linux/-/commit/08da182175db4c7f80850354849d95f2670e8cd9
Which should land in Linus' tree this week.

Alex