PROBLEM: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X iGPU - Blinking Issue

Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) regressions at leemhuis.info
Tue May 2 13:34:14 UTC 2023

On 02.05.23 15:13, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 7:45 AM Linux regression tracking (Thorsten
> Leemhuis) <regressions at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
>> On 30.04.23 13:44, Felix Richter wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running into an issue with the integrated GPU of the Ryzen 9 7950X. It seems to be a regression from kernel version 6.1 to 6.2.
>>> The bug materializes in from of my monitor blinking, meaning it turns full white shortly. This happens very often so that the system becomes unpleasant to use.
>>>
>>> I am running the Archlinux Kernel:
>>> The Issue happens on the bleeding edge kernel: 6.2.13
>>> Switching back to the LTS kernel resolves the issue: 6.1.26
>>>
>>> I have two monitors attached to the system. One 42 inch 4k Display and a 24 inch 1080p Display and am running sway as my desktop.
>>>
>>> Let me know if there is more information I could provide to help narrow down the issue.
>>
>> Thanks for the report. To be sure the issue doesn't fall through the
>> cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, the Linux kernel regression
>> tracking bot:
>>
>> #regzbot ^introduced v6.1..v6.2
>> #regzbot title drm: amdgpu: system becomes unpleasant to use after
>> monitor starts blinking and turns full white
>> #regzbot ignore-activity
>>
>> This isn't a regression? This issue or a fix for it are already
>> discussed somewhere else? It was fixed already? You want to clarify when
>> the regression started to happen? Or point out I got the title or
>> something else totally wrong? Then just reply and tell me -- ideally
>> while also telling regzbot about it, as explained by the page listed in
>> the footer of this mail.
>>
>> Developers: When fixing the issue, remember to add 'Link:' tags pointing
>> to the report (the parent of this mail). See page linked in footer for
>> details.
>
> This sounds exactly like the issue that was fixed in this patch which
> is already on it's way to Linus:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/agd5f/linux/-/commit/08da182175db4c7f80850354849d95f2670e8cd9

FWIW, you in the flood of emails likely missed that this is the same
thread where you yesterday replied "If the module parameter didn't help
then perhaps you are seeing some other issue.  Can you bisect?". That's
why I decided to add this to the tracking. Or am I missing something
obvious here?

/me looks around again and can't see anything, but that doesn't have to
mean anything...

Felix, btw, this guide might help you with the bisection, even if it's
just for kernel compilation:

https://docs.kernel.org/next/admin-guide/quickly-build-trimmed-linux.html

And to indirectly reply to your mail from yesterday[1]. You might want
to ignore the arch linux kernel git repo and just do a bisection between
6.1 and the latest 6.2.y kernel using upstream repos; and if I were you
I'd also try 6.3 or even mainline before that, in case the issue was
fixed already.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/all/04749ee4-0728-92fe-bcb0-a7320279eaac@felixrichter.tech/

Ciao, Thorsten