[RFC] Plane color pipeline KMS uAPI

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue May 9 08:17:40 UTC 2023

On Mon, 8 May 2023 18:54:09 -0500
Steven Kucharzyk <stvr_8888 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'd like to ask if there is a block/flow chart/diagram that has been
> created that represent the elements that are being discussed for this
> RFC? If so, would you be so kind as to point me to it or send it to me?

Hi Steven,

the whole point of the design is that there is no predefined block
diagram or flow chart. It would not fit hardware well, as hardware
generations and vendors do not generally have a common design. Instead,
the idea is to model what the hardware can do, and for that each driver
will create a set of specific pipelines the hardware implements.
Userspace then choose a pipeline that suits it and populates its
parameters.

As for the elements themselves, we can hopefully define some commonly
available types, but undoubtedly there will be a few hardware-specific
elements as well. Otherwise some piece of special hardware functionality
cannot be used at all.

The job of defining a generic pipeline model and mapping that to actual
hardware elements is left for a userspace library. I expect there will
be multiple pipeline models, more to be introduced over time. Hence
putting that in a userspace library instead of carving it in stone at
the kernel UAPI.

Next time, please do use reply-to-all, you have again dropped everyone
and other mailing lists from the CC.

Thanks,
pq