[RFC] Plane color pipeline KMS uAPI

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:47:17 UTC 2023

On Tue, 9 May 2023 10:23:49 -0100
Melissa Wen <mwen at igalia.com> wrote:

> On 05/05, Joshua Ashton wrote:
> > Some corrections and replies inline.
> >
> > On Fri, 5 May 2023 at 12:42, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > ^
> > This is wrong, this should be Display Native -> Linearized Display Referred
>
> This is a good point to discuss. I understand for the HDR10 case that we
> are just setting an enumerated TF (that is PQ for this case - correct me
> if I got it wrong) but, unlike when we use a user-LUT, we don't know
> from the API that this enumerated TF value with an empty LUT is used for
> linearizing/degamma. Perhaps this could come as a pair? Any idea?

PQ curve is an EOTF, so it's always from electrical to optical.

Are you asking for something like

"1d_curve_type" = "PQ EOTF"

vs.

"1d_curve_type" = "inverse PQ EOTF"?

I think that's how it should work. It's not a given that if a
hardware block can do a curve, it can also do its inverse. They need to
be advertised explicitly.

Thanks,
pq

ps. I picked my nick in the 90s. Any resemblance to Perceptual
Quantizer is unintended. ;-)