[RFC] Plane color pipeline KMS uAPI

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue May 9 19:53:08 UTC 2023

On Wed, 10 May 2023 at 00:31, Harry Wentland <harry.wentland at amd.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/23 19:14, Dave Airlie wrote:

> >> I think there are two answers to those questions.
> >
> > These aren't selling me much better :-)
> >>
> >> The first one is that right now KMS already doesn't guarantee that
> >> every property is supported on all hardware. The guarantee we have is
> >> that properties that are supported on a piece of hardware on a
> >> specific kernel will be supported on the same hardware on later
> >> kernels. The color pipeline is no different here. For a specific piece
> >> of hardware a newer kernel might only change the pipelines in a
> >> backwards compatible way and add new pipelines.
> >>
> >> So to answer your question: if some hardware with a novel pipeline
> >> will show up it might not be supported and that's fine. We already
> >> have cases where some hardware does not support the gamma lut property
> >> but only the CSC property and that breaks night light because we never
> >> bothered to write a shader fallback. KMS provides ways to offload work
> >> but a generic user space always has to provide a fallback and this
> >> doesn't change. Hardware specific user space on the other hand will
> >> keep working with the forward compatibility guarantees we want to
> >> provide.
> >
> > In my mind we've screwed up already, isn't a case to be made for
> > continue down the same path.
> >
> > The kernel is meant to be a hardware abstraction layer, not just a
> > hardware exposure layer. The kernel shouldn't set policy and there are
> > cases where it can't act as an abstraction layer (like where you need
> > a compiler), but I'm not sold that this case is one of those yet. I'm
> > open to being educated here on why it would be.
> >

> Thanks for raising these points. When I started out looking at color
> management I favored the descriptive model. Most other HW vendors
> I've talked to also tell me that they think about descriptive APIs
> since that allows HW vendors to map that to whatever their HW supports.
>
> Sebastian, Pekka, and others managed to change my mind about this
> but I still keep having difficult questions within AMD.
>
> Sebastian, Pekka, and Jonas have already done a good job to describe
> our reasoning behind the prescriptive model. It might be helpful to
> see how different the results of different tone-mapping operators
> can look:
>
> http://helgeseetzen.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/HS1.pdf
>
> According to my understanding all other platforms that have HDR now
> have a single compositor. At least that's true for Windows. This allows
> driver developers to tune their tone-mapping algorithm to match the
> algorithm used by the compositor when offloading plane composition.
>
> This is not true on Linux, where we have a myriad of compositors for
> good reasons, many of which have a different view of how they want color
> management to look like. Even if we would come up with an API that lets
> compositors define their input, output, scaling, and blending space in
> detail it would still not be feasible to describe the minutia of
> [...]

There are also other vendor side effects to having this in userspace.

Will the library have a loader?
Will it allow proprietary plugins?
Will it allow proprietary reimplementations?
What will happen when a vendor wants distros to ship *their*
proprietary fork of said library?

How would NVIDIA integrate this with their proprietary stack?

Dave.