[v1 0/2] Break out as separate driver from boe-tv101wum-nl6 panel driver

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Mon Oct 9 21:02:39 UTC 2023

On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 10:53 PM Doug Anderson <dianders at google.com> wrote:

> Also: just as a heads up, Hsin-Yi measured the impact of removing the
> "command table" for init and replacing it with a whole pile of direct
> function calls. She found that it added over 100K to the driver (!!!).
> I believe it went from a 45K driver to a 152K driver. Something to
> keep in mind. ;-)

Sounds like Aarch64 code. I would love a comparison of the same
driver compiled to ARMv7t thumb code. Just for the academic
interest. Because I have heard about people running ARM32
kernels on Aarch64 hardware for this exact reason: so they can
have thumb, which is compact.

OK OK we definitely need command sequence tables in the core,
what we have now is each driver rolling its own which is looking bad.

Yours,
Linus Walleij