Linux 6.10-rc1

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Fri Jun 14 20:13:44 UTC 2024

Hi!

> > Let's bring in the actual gpu people.. Dave/Jani/others - does any of
> > this sound familiar? Pavel says things have gotten much slower in
> > 6.10: "something was very wrong with the performance, likely to do
> > with graphics"
>
> Actually, maybe it's not graphics at all. Rafael just sent me a pull
> request that fixes a "turbo is disabled at boot, but magically enabled
> at runtime by firmware" issue.
>
> The 6.10-rc1 kernel would notice that turbo was disabled, and stopped
> noticing that it magically got re-enabled.
>
> Pavel, that was with a very different laptop, but who knows... That
> would match the "laptop is much slower" thing.
>
> So current -git might be worth checking.

Ok, let me check. That sounds like something that could make machine
hotter.

My problem seems to be that machine seems to run way hotter with 6.10,
and when it hovers around the 97C limit, it is unusable with all the
throttling.

It gets unusable with 6.9 at 97C, too, it is just that it is harder to
make it so hot with 6.9.

(And yes, I'm running Chromium, and yes, that means websites influence
this. Media playback also does, 1080p video pushes thermals close to
the limits even on good kernels.)

Thanks and best regards,
								Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.